34. The reconstruction

"You can be whatever boss you want to be."

We all talked, a lot. Hours after hours went by and all we did was talk. And with we, I mean I talked with every single employee at the HC. Because I can't do this on my own, I need their help rebuilding and fixing this mess. There are a lot of things that as the head of the Department of Hero Lisences, I haven't seen. I have no idea what all the passwords are for the alarms, nor do I know what the psycho did on a daily basis to keep this place running.
But there is one place we can find all that information.

After we broke down his office door, it was locked, we found all we needed. There were countless binders and stacks of papers with the things he kept himself busy with, papers none of us had seen before. In his bookshelves, there were even more binders with documents we need to run this place.  And I looked at every single fucking piece of paper.
Quickly realising, whoever, that most of these papers weren't even needed. Every paper I didn't think was necessary, I threw away, after Meggy, Marcus and the other heads of departments looked at it as well. The countless binders disappeared like snow before the sun and we ended up with one or two binder for each department.

Which brought us by the next problem.
Who will take my spot?

I have never taken an intern under my wing in my entire carreer here, nor did I have co-workers from my department that wanted to learn or were interested in how I do my work. There was just always this sort of wall between my fellow department co-workers and I that my job is mine and mine only. And since no one asked, I never thought about asking anyone if they wanted to learn what I do. The realisation that the rivalry the psycho man caused between us all was the reason for that made us all feel sick. Marcus got into his work account and looked through the mails that man had sent and we found out that this man really pushed away anyone that had even the slightest thought about my job.

Meggy came with the idea for me to continue to do my old work, since I'm the only one who knows how to do it correctly.  All the other heads of departments and managers agreed with her and because I trust them, I agreed to it as well. Meggy did add that, since I have no idea how finance and copyright works, I should leave that to the corrensponding departments. 
The unanimous decision was made that every department would get more responcebility for their part at the HC without the need of someone asking them to do something in their field. Because it's ridiculous to think about that the Finance Department didn't have full access to the HC bankaccount to do their work. Only when the psycho man asked for it, they would look at what the psycho man allowed them to look at. And that's just one of the many examples.

So, from now on, the Finance Department has full access to whatever financial information about the HC they need. The Media Department does not have to ask me wether or not they're allowed to post certain content. The Schedule Department does not have to ask me if the schedule is alright. All departments, and trust me, there are more departments than I just mentioned, are going to gain more freedom in their field. Because why would I busy myself with certain stuff while I can put an entire department to good use to do it for me?
Of course, there will be regular meetings, at least once a week, where all the heads of departments will come together and talk about how things are going. That way, I don't lose an eye on what's going on outside of my job.

It's not that I won't be involving myself with the work the departments are working on, because I will be involved in one way or another, but I won't be telling them what to do all the damn time. They have been to school and worked for a diploma so they can do this job, why wouldn't I allow them to do their job themselves? They don't need me to do their job well, because they went to school for it!

---

We are all sitting in one of the many meetingrooms the HC office has to offer. I'm sitting at the head of the table, which feels really weird, while the other heads of departments and managers are sitting on their assigned seats. Even though the psycho man is gone, changing seats isn't going to happen any time soon.
Everyone is enjoying a cup of coffee, tea of hot choco, while we discuss the bigger picture of how we think running the HC looks like for us. The details'll come later.