7. The distraction

This chapter will be slightly longer, but trust me.

You'll want to read the entire thing ;)
- Author

"But I'll be heading home now. There are a few things I need to figure out before I can continue this routine check-up. Have a great day and remember, be the best version of yourself."

It's currently 3:58 p.m and I'm at home. Not knowing where else to go after that stupid phone call, home seems like the safest option. So, after I left UA High, I went home. I've texted my husband telling him that I'm home and that I'll be turning off my phone for a while.

Work email after work email, text message after text message and call after call, my phone didn't stop ringing and dinging. And I know that my shift isn't officially over 'till 5:30 p.m, but I'm not in the right state of mind to work right now. Not after what my boss told me over the phone. And maybe I'm fucking up even more by not answering the questions of my co-workers, who's to say?

I did write down everything I think about the fact my boss wants me to do the class 1A screening this year. Just like the annual routine check-ups, I haven't done the UA High class 1A screenings ever before in my life, because of that legal document my boss made useless.
The list only got longer and longer, both with facts about the situation and my feelings about it. I wrote down what my boss said to me, that my marriage could take that strain. And I don't doubt that it couldn't, but I don't want to test it out either.

So, right now, I'm sitting on the couch. The cat has taken a seat on top of my lap, which he rarely does, but I like it. My mind is all over the place while I'm trying to figure out what the best solution is for this mess, without getting it any messier than it already is.
Yes, I can do the 1A screening. But it goes against a very strong boundary I have.
Yes, I can refuse to do the 1A screening. But I don't want to know the concequences it can have. And knowing what sort of shitty man my boss is, I won't be the only one feeling those concequences. After all, he promised me to not give Shota night patrols during exam-weeks.

Getting only more and more frustrated with this entire situation, I throw whatever I'm holding away from me. I don't care where it lands, as long as it's not near me!
However, the moment I throw my notebook and pen away from me, the front door of our apartment opens, revealing my husband. The pen hits the door, just an inch away from my husband's face. I gasp, I almost hit my husband.

"Did you want me to stay away a little longer or?" My husband asks me, before looking at the pen and the notebook on the floor. I stand up, making sure to lay the cat on the couch first, before making my way up to my husband. He looks at me with worry, trying to make eye contact with me, but I don't look into his eyes. I just walk up to him while he closes the door behind him. "What's wrong?" He asks me softly and all I can do is walk into his arms, wrapping my arms around him and hiding my face in his chest for as much my glasses allow it. I let out a sigh.

My husband drops his workbag, before wrapping his arms around me as well. His grib on me is comforting and strong. He smells nice and feels warm. One of his hands reaches up and takes the fancy hairclip out of my hair, letting it all fall down. Then, he starts to play with my hair, knowing that it comforts me.

"My stupid boss called me..." I confess, before letting out another sigh. My husband stays silent, knowing that if he says something there is a chance I won't continue to talk. "He wants me to do this year's 1A screening as well..." Upon saying that, I can feel my husband tense up a little. "But I don't want to. It's one thing to be doing the annual routine check-up at UA this year, but doing the 1A screening just goes too far. I asked him wether or not he understood what that could mean to our marriage, even though I know it won't do anything, and he told me he honestly thinks our marriage can take that strain." I complain. It's my husband's secret second quirk or something; he always manages to get me to say whatever is on my mind.