Purgatory 4

-

Last Night

"My oh my. Now would you look at that?" Ryoko leaned over her boat to look at the body sprawled across the other vehicle. The technician had been strangled for what seemed to be ages judging by the harsh red marks that covered nearly the whole of her neck. That combined with the terrified look on her face made it perfect for Ryoko, who clapped slightly. "You did a surprisingly good job. She must have had a terrible time."

The girl on the other boat remained silent, her knees clutched to her chest as she stared at what she had done.

"Hm? Oh, it's too late to be having second thoughts, Kokoro." Ryoko sighed, stepping across to crouch down next to her, a smile appearing on her face. "Nothing will go wrong if we stick to the plan, alright? Those traitors will die, you'll get Shunsuke back and we'll get to live. Doesn't that just sound perfect?" She asked, cupping the girl's face, wiping her tears.

Kokoro at first tried to form words, stumbling over whatever she was trying to say before she just filled and took a deep breath, nodding slightly. "R-Right...I'm...Looking out for myself for once."

"Exactly!" The chess player clapped her hands, acting proud of the girl in front of her. "That's my girl."

Ryoko bounced up, wiping her hands together. "Now, get up, alright? We've got a lot more work to do than I initially anticipated."

"H-Huh?" Kokoro looked up at her. "What do you mean...?"

"Well." Ryoko took the matchmaker's hand and pulled her up to her feet. "Take a look for yourself."

The chess grandmaster used her hands to guide the other girl's attention to the bottom of the other boat. There, she saw another body - a girl whose short black hair and blazer had been stained with the blood that poured from the back of her head.

"O-Oh my god!" Kokoro gasped, her hand clasping over her mouth in shock. "What...W-What happened?!? What did you do to Chiyo?"

"Look, originally I just wanted an opportunity to take her handbook. You know that, but..." Ryoko trailed off, trying to ignore the smirk begging to appear on her face in favour of acting sincerely to appeal to Kokoro. "...Let's just say things got out of hand, ok? Chiyo's death...may be a hindrance."

Ryoko realised the remaining panic on Kokoro's face, realising she had to do something to ensure she stuck to the plan.

"No, no...Don't be upset!" Ryoko pleaded. "I understand you may have trusted Chiyo but...she was just like the others, remember? This isn't the biggest loss in the world. And besides, this is about you, not her. So don't let Chiyo affect you."

Kokoro trembled. "U-Um...are you sure?"

"Of course! In fact, I'm positive." The chess player lightly chuckled. "Just trust me, ok? We're in this together for our deal. We'll show the others, alright." Ryoko held her hand out to the shorter girl. "We are a team after all. I won't let anything happen to you. Understand?"

Kokoro hesitated for a moment, looking between Chiyo and Yuna's lifeless bodies and Ryoko's. But ultimately, she chose to shake hands with the grandmaster, taking a deep breath.

"I...I understand." She gave a weak smile, genuinely believing the girl in front of her.

Though it ended up being a cruel and fatal mistake.

-

Purgatory

The matchmaker awoke, paralysed in fear as she stared at her bloody hands. Her whole body was sore and felt like it had been torn apart and put back together again. Every part of her body was in immense pain, yet the guilt she felt is what made her freeze in place.