Chapter 4 - Class Trial 1

"Before you all start arguing, let me explain the basic rules of the class trial to you all!" Monokuma kicked us off doing his usual speech at the start. "You all will discuss the case and try to figure out who the killer is! Once-"

"Your explanation is no longer necessary." Ryoko suddenly interrupted him with folded arms.

"Huh? But every time Monokuma explains the rules...you get excited." Shouko said, tilting her head at Ryoko's strange behaviour.

"Yeah! You love my voice...Why is my greatest fan suddenly sick of me?!?" Monokuma cried.

"Oh please. Grow up, you two." The chess player rolled her eyes. "I mean, this is our fourth class trial. It's normal that you want us to learn the rules, but we know everything now! So shut up and let's get started with the interesting stuff already! I'm sick of waiting around."

"A...Alright." Shouko gave a yawn and a lazy nod. "Forget it then..."

"Huh...?" Ryoko suddenly went silent.

"W-What's the problem?" Kokoro wondered, leaning forward against her trial podium.

"Isn't it obvious?!? It's silent! The problem here is that no one is standing up to me...So where's the fun in that, huh?" She sighed, dramatically leaning back with a hand against her forehead. "If only Chiyo were here to call me out...or if only any of you had some damn backbone!" She then groaned.

"T-That's what you're worried about?!? Not the fact that Chiyo could be dying right now...?" I stammered.

"Hey, what do you mean by that? I am a professional. Don't just assume I'd let her die!" Monokuma gasped as he took offence to what I said.

"Stay out of this!" I exclaimed.

"So how come you can argue back to the murderous robot bear, but not to me? A sweet innocent girl?" Ryoko pouted, putting on an act. "Satoshi! That really hurts my feelings you know...! How could you!"

"I am so much more than a murderous robot bear! And don't act as if you don't know my name!" Monokuma yelled, trying to get her attention, but Ryoko ignored him completely and continued to stare at me with that exaggerated expression.

"I..." I tried my best to think of some sort of argument to combat Ryoko with, but my mind went blank! I just can't think clearly around her...

She's...like a plague in my mind. And she won't shut up!

"I-I..." But even if I wanted to, I couldn't fight back. No words spilt out at all.

"Just as I expected: nothing at all!" Ryoko chuckled at her own joke. "Yet again, not a word from Satoshi or any of you...Seriously! I could walk all over this bunch and none of them would bat an eye. I had no idea Chiyo's lack of presence would cause this much of an effect. I miss her shouting at me..."

"Then...I'll do it."

"Eh?!?"

I turned to see Kenjiro, fiddling with his scarf. "I'll...try my best to defend my friends. And if it means to argue with you, then...s-so be it."

"Hm? You...argue with me?" Ryoko seemed confused but then chuckled. "Well oh my. I'm impressed! Maybe I don't need Chiyo. As long as this is fun and interesting, it'll be a success."

There she goes again, wanting this killing game to be fun and games. I...I can't stand it!

"Let's...just get started." I took a deep breath.

"...Right." Shouko nodded, agreeing with me while rubbing the back of her head. "We've spent too much time dealing with...Ryoko. A-And not enough time on the case!"