Prologue - Farewell To A New Beginning - Welcome To Camp

When I opened the dining room doors, I noticed the room was much different from when I first entered and met Tatsuo. It was now bustling and busy with people looking into the kitchen to see multiple dishes, one specifically made for each of us. Along with that, there were streamers matching the decor from the welcome centre hanging along the walls, potted plants and the fireplace with a massive welcome banner hanging over the kitchen door.

"This must be the start of that welcome ceremony." Akemi assumed.

"It seems that way." I scanned the room again and noticed Tatsuo leaning against the wall. I started to walk towards him and tried to get his attention, Akemi quickly following behind. "Hey, Tatsuo."

"Hm?" He glanced my way, humming a short response.

"What's the deal with this place now? I thought you were in here the whole time." I wondered.

"I'm as weirded out as you. Stepped out for a second to get some fresh air, but when I came back inside, it looked like...This." He gestured to the room.

"Right. Did anyone come in here or something?"

"Nope. Not after you guys left."

"I knew this place was weird," I said to myself, walking away from Tatsuo after getting all the information I needed.

"Ok, that is kinda spooky," Akemi said.

"I told you we should have been suspicious of this place from the start."

"H-Hey! Sure, it's a bit creepy, but nothing seriously bad has happened yet." He tried to reassure me.

"Did you forget the part where we got kidnapped?" I glared at him.

"Well...uh..."

"Exactly." I sighed. Since everyone was forming a crowd near the kitchen, I decided to join them.

"Oh, hey. Grilled cheese." Finn grinned, picking up the plate in front of him.

"What?" Akemi said as soon as he heard.

"Apparently everyone's dish has their favourite food on it. Must be for this welcome ceremony." He briefly explained.

"Right." I looked down at his plate. "And you're favourite food is...grilled cheese?"

"Not just any grilled cheese, but my own recipe." He pointed around one end of the sandwich. "One half medium cheddar, another half gouda and a final half of pepper jack for some extra spice. Of course, I can't forget the tiny bit, maybe a third, of grated mozzarella. And voila."

"That doesn't make sense. Two halves already make a whole." I replied. "Don't you know how fractions work?"

"Uh..."

"You're...You're kidding right?" I stared at him.

"Ha...haha!" He nervously laughed and smiled. "It's my recipe, so it doesn't matter."

"Is that an excuse?" I called him out.

"...Um." he went silent and then chuckled, changing the subject. "Want some?"

"No thanks." I shook my head.

"That's fine by me." Finn then looked at Akemi. "What about you?"

"Nah, it's fine dude." He said. "I just wanna see what I got. I bet it's better than some grilled cheese."

"Suit yourself." Finn just shrugged at what Akemi had said and walked away, finding a place to sit.

After that, I pushed my way to the front of the crowd to see what food awaited me, Akemi trying to peek behind my shoulder to inspect his dish as well.