Chapter 4 - A State of Uneasy Equilibrium - Class Trial Opening

Kenjiro and I walked hand in hand into the trial room, ready to face whatever obstacles we had together in light of the latest murder case.

Yuna's murder...

The grim overcast scent that loomed throughout the trial room had seemingly vanished as did most of the dirt, the room apparently being at its final bits of renovations as the pillars reflected the dazzling chandelier light. Red curtains had been fitted to the large glass showcases that displayed the array of glimmering beams of colour formed by the crystals etched on the rock.
Even the floor had gotten an upgrade, matching the marble polish of the rest of the room as a long red carpet had been placed over it. The only things that needed to be finished were the ceiling and one last large glass display at the back behind Monokuma that had yet to be done.

This place really just improves and improves after every murder...That's just sick! Does the death of our friends just fuel his desire for...interior design?

That...sounds stupid.

I mentally slapped myself for that stupid joke, muttering to myself.

"What did I say about the self-deprecation and muttering?" Kenjiro whispered, noticing what I was doing immediately.

"R-Right. Sorry." I sighed, lowering my head.

But my head quickly perked up once I saw the two new portraits that painfully reminded us of our last friends: Kairi and Yuna.

Yuna's expression stuck out to me

Yuna's expression stuck out to me. It was as if her eyes were lingering on me and staring back just as her body was, bobbing in the middle of the lake.

Yuna...I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I'll try my best- no, I'll do more than that.

I will find out who did this to you.

My mind flashed to Chiyo with Archie in the infirmary. She was probably still asleep and might not be up for days...Hell, she might not even get up at all. Chiyo did not deserve that in the slightest.

That just gives me newfound determination. I'll also find the bastard that hurt Chiyo. That is a promise.

My eyes then hovered over to Hidemi's face as well, her smile still appearing strong despite all the paint covering her face.

Even after what Chiyo said to me after we found her...I still believe I should have died. Why did I have to live when I have no value in this shitty place? Why would someone like Hidemi with so much potential die for me...?

I can theorise however I want but...I'll never be able to ask Hidemi for her true reason. Not after her death. So for that...I have to make sure she didn't die in vain. I'll prove to her that I'm not a fuck up like Ryoko may think...

I'll...make her proud of me.

When I finally paid attention to my surroundings, I realised that Ryoko was already going on her pre-trial speech about how interesting she will find the upcoming events. The others began to question her, but once again I blocked her out, focusing on myself.

I will not let her ruin this for me...Not for everyone I'm fighting for.

Kenjiro lightly squeezed my hand and looked up at me, dropping his voice down to a whisper so we could confide in each other. "You're good to do this? I know Ryoko can say things that really annoy or mess with you, but-"

"I-I'm not sure if I'm even ok to be here right now. I...I'm not ok most days, you know that. But I have to do this. For Chiyo and to find Yuna's killer." I told him. "For...Hidemi and everyone else here to not be disappointed in me."

"Is it a need or a want?" He asked with a hum.

"It's...It's both." I firmly said. "I both need and want to help people. I guess...You, Chiyo and Hidemi have rubbed off on me."

"I'm glad." Kenjiro smiled.

Our little conversation was interrupted by the sound of Ryoko loudly yawning. "If I can have the pleasure of breaking up your little annoying conversation, then I may remind you that we have a trial to do! Quit speaking and get over here!"

I looked over to where she stood and noticed that everyone else was already at their spot.

"S-Shit...Yeah."

Kenjiro and I let go of each other to get to our respective podiums after he gave me one last look of encouragement, clearing my throat to not seem embarrassed as I stood up straight.

"Good boy." Ryoko teasingly smirked at me, but I brushed it off.

Ignore her. Just...ignore her.

She only does this to freak people out. I know how Ryoko is. She'll get her business all up into this case. And I am not looking forward to seeing if the trial drags on with her bullshit. So...just ignore her.

And no matter what...This is for them. For Yuna, Chiyo and Hidemi.

Ryoko cannot get in my way.

And for that, I hope she has as little involvement in the case and doesn't bother me.

...But knowing her, five minutes in and she will not be able to shut up. That's just the way Ryoko is.

I wouldn't be surprised if her name was all over this case...

-