Chapter 2 - A Grasp of Fading Spotlight - Motive

I slammed the dining-room door open, walking inside while yawning loudly. Hidemi quickly followed behind me and got us some breakfast as we both sat down at our usual table.

"Fuck...I didn't sleep at all last night. My head hurts like crazy." I spoke through clenched teeth, brushing my hair aside and rubbing the now fully formed bruise on my forehead.

Hidemi noticed it immediately and dropped her toast in shock. "O-Oh my god! Are you ok?!? How did that happen?"

"I'm fine...I can manage it." I sighed. "As for the reason...it's definitely not my fault, but a certain influencer's."

"Ah, Akihiro..." Hidemi shook her head. "You know, sometimes he really can be a bit pushy. I'll talk to him later and get everything sorted."

"No, no. You shouldn't have to go through all that trouble for something he did. Besides, he already apologised. It's not like Aki's apology can magically get rid of the massive bump on my forehead, but it's better than nothing." I shrugged.

"Well, if you're sure..."

"Although..." I smirked and glanced at her. "I suppose it is sweet how much you care. Pretty cute, too."

"O-Oh...Oh my!" She blushed. "I-I...I mean..."

"I hope I'm not interrupting...This." Someone said as they stood at our table with their arms crossed. I looked up to see Satoshi.

"Yo." I nodded toward him. "Gonna sit with us?"

"Um...Yeah. I was planning to do that. Glad I got permission." He seemingly exhaled a sigh of relief once he sat down.

"Hey, don't tell me you're nervous asking your own step-sister for a seat!" Hidemi gasped. "Of course, you could take a seat. It should practically be routine now."

"Well, yeah." He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck. "It's just...I guess some people here still are a bit suspicious or freaked out about me. So I can't help being cautious or nervous...Sorry."

"I see..." I replied. "No need to apologise."

"After what happened..." Satoshi looked at his hands. "P-Part of me just can't blame them."

"Hey." Hidemi placed her hand on his shoulder. "Calm down. I'm sure everyone else will warm up to you eventually. Why wouldn't they? You're a nice person. I should know that better than anyone here."

"B-But-"

"She's right, you know?" I nodded as I swallowed some toast. "They probably just don't get it. Besides, tons of us here think you're cool. Would Tatsuo really let you ride his bike if he was scared of you?"

"I...I guess not."

"Then see? Just give it time and try and take things easy." I added.

"Oh! Now that Chiyo has reminded me, how was your bike ride? Did you enjoy it?" Hidemi asked.

Satoshi replied as he lowered his hands, a small smile appearing on his face. "Um, yeah...It was actually more fun than I expected."

"I'm glad." Hidemi's smiled. "And you already seem to be feeling a slight bit better." She chuckled. "Any more and I might finally get a laugh out of you. I remember how easy it used to be to get you to laugh!"

"H-Hey!" He perked up and tried to stop her from saying anything embarrassing. Satoshi then relaxed his shoulders and looked between the two of us. "Although...I should say thanks, you guys. You two, along with Kenjiro and Tatsuo, have probably been the nicest to me. It's...comforting."

"Ha, don't mention it." I grinned.

"It's surprising, especially coming from you Chiyo. Never would I have expected this kindness from you after what happened between us." He then looked at me but slightly smirked while completely calling me out.