Chapter 4 - A State of Uneasy Equilibrium - Boating Trip

I stared at the envelope in my hands as I sat on my bed, reading my name in bold letters while feeling the softness of the material.

Who the hell left this at my door all of a sudden? And do I even want to open it?

Well...If a person took the time to write me a whole-ass letter instead of just telling me whatever directly, then I suppose that's a bit of effort. So...I guess I should open it.

But shit! This might just be an elaborate trap! This killing game has really messed up my trust. I can barely trust anything these days!

Glancing down one last time at the paper in my hands, I sighed.

Fuck it. I should at least hear this mystery person out. Then I can decide what to do with whatever I read.

I didn't waste any time with the envelope and just ripped it open, a smaller piece of paper falling from it. Quickly, I caught it in my hands and examined it, seeing it was messily folded and creased at every edge.

Damn. I didn't expect this messy piece of work to fall out of such a nice envelope. I suppose whoever wrote this was in a rush then.

With a deep breath, I opened up the note, my eyes landing on the text scribbled on the inside and how each letter joined the next at a slight angle, ink smudges lightly staining some of the letters. It wasn't unreadable though, but as I continued to read through it, I paused.

'Hey, Chiyo.

Now that I've built up the courage, I'd like to discuss and tell you something, yet I can't do it over letters.

I'm sorry if this bothers you or anything but please meet me at the dock a few minutes after the nighttime announcement. Maybe we could take a boat out and talk? Only if you want to, of course.

- Yuna'

My worry washed away when I saw that name at the bottom of the sheet. Of course, Yuna wrote this. I can imagine her freaking out over the stuff she was writing.

But...we talked earlier. Why couldn't she just tell me then? And what the hell does she even have to tell me in the first place?

I was worried again in no time, going over various possibilities in my head for the reason.

However, I stopped mid-way through and calmed down, reassuring myself that Yuna wouldn't do anything reckless. I completely trust her right now anyway.

So...I guess I should go hear her out. I can't stop thinking about what she could be wanting to tell me. Nothing bad, I hope.

But shit, I need to run! It has been ages since the nighttime announcement played, so I'm going to be late.

With that, I grabbed my bag once again, making sure the essentials like my handbook and Archie were inside and safe, and began running out the door, locking it behind me.

However, I was stopped when I heard someone call out my name from one of the benches in the centre of the ring of the cabins.

"Chiyo?" Satoshi glanced over at me, lifting his head from his notebook. "What...are you doing?"

"I could ask you the same thing, dude. Shouldn't you be resting? Kenji told you to take care of yourself you know." I stopped at the foot of my stairs, crossing my arms. "I'm just...going out to meet someone at the dock."

I could've made an excuse or lied to Satoshi, but I trust him. Besides, I also trust Yuna.

And even if something were to happen to me...Satoshi would know what I was up to. So that would help.