Chapter Eighty-eight (Charlie)

After I leave Kailey's room, I head to the security room to go check on something. When I walk in, Xavier is in there, watching and listening in on what's going on in Kailey's room. J start to walk over to him, but stop when I hear what they're saying.

"JJ, are you ok?" She asks him after I leave.

"I'm fine. I just don't want you to answer things that you aren't ready to answer yet. Charlie can be very pushy, and I don't want you to feel pressured into answering her. I saw the look in your eyes when she asked why you were in the hospital. It's ok to not answer her questions. I want you to answer then when you feel ready. But judging by your reaction, I know you're not ready."

"Oh," she says. "Well, thank you. I'm not sure what else she would've asked, but thank you. And you're right. I'm not ready to talk about any of this, and I don't know if I'll ever be ready. It's been years since this has happened, but it still gives me nightmares and I've never told anyone about it. You're the only one who knows. Thank you, J."

"You ok, Char?" Xavier asks without even looking at me.

"W-hat? How did you-?"

"How did I know you were in here? Well, I saw you walk out of her room, and I also heard you walk in here," he says while he turns around to look at me.

I quickly wipe my tears. "But how did you know it was me?"

"For one, I know what your footsteps sound like. I've figured out the difference between your, Oliver's, and JJ's. And for two, I heard you sniffle. Why are you crying?"

"I'm not. I don't know what you're talking about."

"Charlie, I heard you sniffling, and I saw you wipe your tears away when I turned around. Why are you crying?"

"I already told you. I'm not crying," I snap at him without meaning to.

"Charlie," he says in a warning voice.

I sigh defeated, knowing I'm not going to win this. "Ok, fine. I'm crying because of what they said. Especially JJ. He doesn't ever say that kind of stuff about me," I laugh through my tears.

"But he's not wrong. I am pushy and I do pressure people. But I don't mean to. It's just what I do. I don't mean to make anyone uncomfortable or pressured into answering."

"I know, Charlie. I know," he says as he stands up and comes over to hug me. "And I'm sure if you explain this to her, she'll forgive you. She's sweet like that. I know you don't mean it, Char. Please stop crying. You know I don't like it when people cry, and I don't know what to do," he says while chuckling.

"Sorry, V," I say while giggling and wiping my tears.

"It's ok, Char. But I'm not the one to apologize to. You should apologize to Kailey. and I promise you, if you explain it to her, she'll forgive you."

"Thanks, V," I say, and I finally hug him back. I break the hug after a minute and tell him I'll be back.

I head to Kailey's room, and when I walk in, she and JJ are sitting on the bed talking.

"Umm, Little K?" I say as I stand by the door, not knowing what to do.

JJ and Kailey both stop talking and look up at me.

"Yeah?" She asks.

"Umm, is it ok if I talk to you for a minute? Alone?" I ask as I look between her and JJ.

"Yeah, sure," she pushes JJ off the bed, and he yells when he hits the floor.

"Hey, what was that for?" He asks while sitting up.