Chapter Fort-six

"How do you know? How do you know that's the truth? HOW DO YOU KNOW ANY OF THIS?" I'm yelling at him now because I'm so confused, and I need answers.

       "Kailey, have you ever wondered why we're the only ones who don't look like Alex?"

       "I mean I guess sometimes when we were little, but I stopped caring after a while."

       "Well, look at me and Ace next to each other," he says as he walks back to Ace's side.

       Now that I look closely, Quintin does look s lot like him. The same jet-black hair with dark brown eyes. His facial features, and even their body structure is the same.

At this moment, I know I don't even need to look at myself to know that Ace is my father. I look exactly the same as Quintin, who looks exactly the same as Ace. The only difference is that I have green eyes, like my mother.

       "Is this why Alex hates me so much? Because I'm not his daughter?" Tears are rolling down my cheeks now.

       "Yes," Quintin says so quietly I could hardly hear him.

       "So, is this where you've been for the last five years?" I ask as I look around the room again.

       "Kailey, I'm sor-"

       "Answer the question, Quintin," I say, cutting him off.

       He sighs before saying, "Yes. This is where I've been. I've wanted to know who my real father is ever since we were little."

       "And you didn't think to come back? You didn't think about taking me with you? You don't know what is was like, Quintin! You don't know what it was like with him. You left when I needed you the most! I needed you, Quintin, and you weren't there. You never came back for me..." My voice breaks on the last word and now I'm on the floor again, but not in fear this time.

       This time it's from pain.

       Pain from how much torture and abuse I went through with Alex and Tyler.

       Pain from the twins dying.

       Pain from him disappearing when I needed him the most.

       Pain from mom and Emily dying.

       But most of all, pain from knowing that the only reason Alex tortured and abused me is because I wasn't his daughter. This was his way to get back at mom for having an affair and getting pregnant. He hurt me to get back at her and hurt her.

       "H-how did you find out?" I look up at Quintin who looks like he's about to cry.

       "I-I found our birth-certificates, Kay," he says as a single tear rolls down his cheek.

       "But mom always said she lost them. How did you find them?"

       "Mom never lost them. She hid them in the back of her closet under a bunch of stuff in a few different boxes. I was going through her stuff one day when she wasn't home, and I found them. I looked at them and saw that Alex's name wasn't on them, but instead, Ace Spade." I can tell he's trying hard to hold back his tears.

       "When I saw his name on the birth-certificates, I knew I had to find him. So I grabbed the certificates, and I left. It only took about a month before I finally found him, and I've been here ever since."

       "But why didn't you come back for me? If you knew Alex wasn't our father, why did you still leave me there? You don't know what k had to go through, Quintin. He kept trying to kidnap me and he succeeded twice. He kept torturing me, Quin. I needed you, and you weren't there! Why didn't you come back for me?"

       "Kailey, I am so sorry. I meant to come back; I really did but-"

       "But what, Quintin? Why didn't you come back if you wanted to so bad?"

       "Because I wouldn't let him," Ace's voice cuts in and I snap my head in his direction.

       "What?"

       "I wouldn't let him go back."

       "But why? Why not at least let him come home long enough to tell me he's ok?"

       "Because everyone knows he's my son, and they know who his sister is. If I let him go out and someone caught sight of him going to find you, you would've been in serious danger. J couldn't let that happen."

       "But why does everyone want me?"

       "Because you're my daughter, Kailey."

       "I know that. But why do they want me?" I look at Ace but he's looking away from me now, so I look over to Quintin who looks scared out of his mind.

       "What's going on? Why does everyone want me? What are you not telling me?!" I'm freaking out a little bit now because nobody will say anything.

       "Kailey..." Quintin starts but never finishes.

       "Because you're the heir to the Spades Mafia."

       After hearing this, I blacked out.