Chapter 27

AVANTHI

I had cleaned up the house so I decided to take a warm shower. After cleansing myself with my favorite chocolate flavoured body wash I dressed in my comfy Pajamas. Clock was ticking 11 am so I decided to make lunch. I noticed I didn't have any vegetables stocked up except green chillies and coriander leaves as I hadn't visited home for a week. There were potatoes so I decided to make Sheeta(rice), Batate Bhajjun Upkari(potato thin slices dry fry), Dalitoy (yellow lentil soup) for lunch. Finally when I finished the house smelled fantastic.

Then I was skeptical. Should I ask him to join? After all he is my...no!!! He is no one to me. But....it's humanity. Wait!!! Humanity for a demon? Naaaaa... he'll manage himself. I rolled my eyes and went onto fry some Papad and some katre mirsanga (buttermilk soaked sundried chillies) when the doorbell rang. I went and opened it only to see Karthik standing at the door with a huge tiffin box. I thought it must be by Anita aunty but I didn't want to take advantage of her sweet and helpful nature.

'Ummm Avanthi...this is lunch for you-'

'No Karthik. Thank you so much but please inform Anita aunty that I'm good. I have managed to make a decent lunch-'

When he suddenly interrupted saying 'This is not by my mom Avanthi. Ummmm this... this is by Sir!!! For you!!!' and for the second time in a row my jaw dropped. I looked at my watch and it was only 12:45 pm. He cooked all of this??? We reached home by 10 in the morning and in just a mere 2 and half hours of time he cooked this much??? I looked at the size of the tiffin box. It was enough to serve an entire gang of 10.

I gulped and said 'Ummm Thanks but...I have managed to make a meal for myself so....'

'Sir knows Mam. He could smell the tadka he said!!!' and I narrowed my eyebrows and then raised one saying

'Your Sir is a dog!!!' and Karthik pressed his lips tightly but mumbled 'A faithful one though ' and I rolled my eyes thinking 'If only he knew!!!'

'Tell your Sir I'm good and I have a cooked my meal!!!'

'But Avanthi Sir strictly told me not to come back with the tiffin. If you want don't eat it, throw it but don't make me take it back. Neil Sir isn't like any of my other bosses. I still regret taking up the role of a Senior HR Development Director in his organisation. I was way better at Nayaks!!! Here I'm doing everything except the role of a director
.. Seriously should never be your boss's neighbour!!! Ughhhh' he blabbered in frustration.

Honestly I felt bad for him. I knew what a pain Neil Nayak can be in anyone's ass. So without creating much of a fuss I took the tiffin box as Karthik took sigh of breath and left from there. I sat to have my meal. Although I didn't want to have what he sent, the curious cat inside me wanted to see what this jackass could cook. I slowly opened the tiffin box and my eyes widened in shock when I saw a full three course Konkani meal in the tiffin box. It had Kismuri (salad), rasam, dalitoy, beans Upkari (dry fry), Cabbage ambado(vada), Curd rice along with Doodpak(sweet made of rice and milk). I gulped looking at it.

He cooked all of this. I wouldn't lie I was mighty impressed. But my self respect wasn't letting me eat it. However the curiousity inside me to taste what he's made didn't let me stay put. I finally gave up and went on to taste everything. However the moment I put each item in my mouth I almost spat it out. It was either salty or too spicy. It wasn't worth eating to be honest. Suddenly I was worried about what he's going to eat. He's a terrible cook. I rolled my eyes.

Will he eat this? No ways!!! It's not worth eating it. Maybe if I can adjust it somehow by adding boiled potatoes to soak the salt or add some water and add some more masalas I could adjust it. The sweet needs more sugar and more milk but will Neil be able to do it. He's clearly a disaster at cooking.