Chapter 21

AVANTHI

His blue and green ones stared straight into my heart as we kept breathing into each other's face after what he confessed. I wanted to say so much more. Although it was just a day that I spent with him, somehow I couldn't get him off my head. Call it guilt, attraction or emotions...I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to apologise to him.

'I am sorry Neil' I managed to finally get it off my chest. He kept staring at me. Our eye lock was broken when his mother came looking for us. We heard Sharada aunty asking the executive for both of us. I kept staring at him but it looks like he realised and before Sharada aunty entered the changing section, he hid himself in the changing room.

'There you are...look at you...so pretty you look my goodness!!!" saying she complimented me. My heart was still beating hard. My mind was repeating the words Neil just ended up confessing. I didn't know what to do. Also I kinda knew what I should do. I must talk to him in detail.

'Did you see Neil?' she asked me and I shook my head. She asked me to try a few more clothes and walked in the opposite direction. The moment aunty left I knocked at the door and he came out. Our eyes met again but this time he didn't stare into my eyes like he did few minutes ago. He started walking away when I stopped him saying

'Neil...I want to talk to you!!!' but he quickly interrupted saying 'There is nothing left to talk now Avanthi. You are going to be married to my brother within the next few weeks. Let's just... forget what we spoke a few minutes ago...' saying he started walking away when I stopped him saying

'Neil please... I've already apologised!!!'

'Doesnt matter Avanthi!!! Or should I start calling you Avanthi...Van...Vanni...' he said looking elsewhere and it felt like a tight slap.

'Neil...I...'

'It was just a crush Avanthi...A silly one...And I'm over it. It's not like we were in a relationship or something. It was hardly meant to be for 48 hours...it's all in the past...let's live in the present. And future!!! You are going to marry my brother. Who is the most important man in my life. Just like how you love your sister...whom I will be marrying in the next few weeks.' he brought me back to reality.

Prakruthi...He was going to be marrying my Pakku. I can't be the witch to steal my sister's happiness. This is wrong. So wrong.

'I ...I AM SORRY...' saying I walked away from there. I shut my eyes trying to take a deep breath. It was nothing Avanthi. He's a nobody. How much do you know him after all? Come on...you didn't even know his full name and you can't... just cannot sulk over this. You weren't in a relationship with him. It's just a crush... attraction... lust to be precise. He's right. I need to live in the present. And the present is...I'm going to get married to his elder brother in the next few weeks. Just stay away from him and you will be fine.

Right.

And with that thought I decided to avoid him. Whenever Sharada aunty asked me to accompany her and he was alongside...I escaped giving any random reason. Shopping, beautician, reception menu...I royally avoided him everywhere. Neither did he make any attempts to come face to face. Wedding was fast approaching. It was just 3 weeks left for my wedding with Kedar.

'But why you...You told me that you will be applying for leaves and here you are packing your luggage. This is nonsense. Who is this manager of yours, I will talk to him!' Dad was furious when Pranay giggled saying 'Dad it's not my school where you can talk to the principal. It's Akka's bank. It's a multinational organisation. Even her manager can't do anything.' Pranay explained and I smiled and looked at dad who was annoyed.