Chapter 20

AVANTHI

I didn't want to say yes to the marriage proposal, but when dad asked me one strong reason to say no...I couldn't find one.

Was I in a relationship??? No!!!
Was I planning to study further??? No!!!
Was I made to quit my job??? No!!!
Was Kedar or his mother disrespectful??? Nope!!! I even spoke to Kedar on the phone and he was extremely kind and soft spoken.

My reason... 'I am not ready for the marriage' wasn't sitting right because dad told me something that left me speechless. Sharada aunty had seen Prakruthi's picture and had asked her hand for Neil and to my ultimate surprise Neil said yes. I was shocked.

I even ended up asking Sanskriti about his girlfriend and she told me that he had broken up with her almost a year ago and completely shifted back to India. Weirdly it was a bitter sweet happiness. Happy that he was no longer a puppet in that woman's hands and sad because he was going to be my younger sister's husband. Worst of all, we all were going to live in the same house.

It all sounded so crazy and nonsensical that I tried talking to dad telling him I didn't want to marry right now but every time I put up that argument all he said was that if this marriage happens both sisters could be living together. He was always worried for Pakku because she was practically a child.

She wasn't very ambitious, wasn't good at studies, didn't know how to run a home, and wasn't a decent cook either. My Pakku was still a little girl. Honestly I still didn't understand why she even nod a yes to this wedding. She was going to turn 21 this month. She was in her final year of graduation. It was too early for her to marry. I knew she was not in a relationship with anyone. She had confidence issues because of a past experience. One day she confessed  everything to me. My little sister had a crush on her tuition teacher who thankfully had rejected her advances. Honestly I was extremely thankful to him. She was just in 8th std. She was a kid. But looks like it left an impact on her. Loosing mom and this incident had taken a toll on her. She loved reading silly romcom books and watching bollywood movies like a buff but avoided real people in life. Now dad told her about this proposal and she just says yes. I'm shocked.

Today they were coming home to discuss wedding preparations. They didn't want any engagement ceremony because Kedar was working on some new project and because their company is quite new, both brothers worked really hard. Kedar seemed like a workaholic. He had even asked his mother and his brother to do his shopping. Just like Kedar was busy with his business expansions, my sister was busy with her semester exams and couldn't take a day off. She was studying  in Bangalore. Dad was always busy with other preparations. So I was asked to join Sharada aunty and him for the wedding shopping.

I was busy frying Cabbage ambado(fritters) and Chettambado (fritters made from Bengal gram) when we heard a knock at the door. I opened the door to find him along with Sharada aunty. He formally folded his hands before me and I nodded without uttering a word. I hugged Sharada aunty and took her blessings by touching her feet. She smiled and pulled my cheek complimenting that I looked pretty. I smiled.

Suddenly my eyes fell on him and I noticed how he kept stealing glances at me. His gaze made me uncomfortable yet...I somehow liked this discomfort. This was wrong on so many different levels because I was going to be his sister in law and he was going to be my brother in law.

Dad and Sharada aunty were looking at the wedding card designs finalizing one of them before giving it for the prints. It was decided that I would be marrying Kedar first and a week later Prakruthi would be married to him. I somehow couldn't swallow this fact even after two big weeks. Not once did he try to talk to me although I tried to talk to him, he ignored me royally. Does he hate me so much?