Chapter 35

AVANTHI

'Dadda can I have some chocolates that Popsy got for me yesterday?' Roshni said as she sat on Shankar Anna's lap. He smiled and asked in a cute voice 'But has Shine had her breakfast? I was told that she did not finish it. Now that's not good for my Rapunzel's long growing braid.' he said and I pressed my lips trying to control my laughter.

She cutely looked at her braid and said 'But Dadda...I had milk. 1 big glass of milk you know?' and he said 'But what about the Dosa that Shailaja aunty cooked for you?' she started playing with the edge of her hair and I wanted to squish her cheeks.

'I no like Dosa Dadda!!! No tasty!!! And veggies ewwww!!!' she said and I hid my laughter behind my palms when he rolled his eyes saying 'If no veggies no chokies too darling!!! That's Ewww for your teeth!!! Double Ewww for your stomach!!!'. And the little girl got down from her dad's lap saying 'Fine!!! I'll eat the Dosa' to which Shankar Anna smiled saying 'Okay then go eat your breakfast. Dadda and Popsy will see you in a bit okay???' he asked and she nodded.

Then she looked at me asking 'Avanthi and Uncle Kevin as well?' to which Shankar Anna said 'Shine... baby... that's not just Avanthi. She is your Popsy's wife...she is your aunt. You can call her Pacchi.' and then she looked at me with those big bluish green eyes and repeated in her American accent 'Avanthi Pacchi...' and I smiled. She was beautiful. She quickly ran out of the room when Shankar Anna said 'Jack...I want you to wait at the door. I have something personal to discuss and I want to ensure no one enters the room. Specially Shine!!!' and he nodded.

'Have coffee Avanthi. You'll need more. It's a long story ahead!!!' he said and I nodded. We were sitting in his study which had a huge personalized library. The room smelled of books and I loved the fragrance. It had all wooden interiors giving it a old school library feel. He opened the huge wooden doors leading to an open balcony that held the breathtaking view of their green neighborhood. Bright sunlight entered the room making the dark room look bright. The artificial lights were no longer needed. He dragged a wooden chair and took a seat. And then...he began.

'I met Camellia the first time eight years ago at a trekking camp. I still remember we were a group of fifteen and Camellia was a part of it. I am a health freak and back then I did a lot of Jungle Safari, rock climbing, trekking. I liked these nature driven athletic events rather than running aimlessly in a marathon.

She was the most beautiful lady in the batch. The trek went for almost a week but she neither looked at me nor did we become friends. But as a part of the trekking programme we had to cross a river. We had to raft through it and Camellia fell into the river. I jumped into the water and saved her. That's the day she spoke to me properly for the first time. That was our last night at the trekking camp but we spent most of it chatting and sharing experiences. I liked her a lot.

That's how we became friends and gradually started dating each other. I loved her company. She made me feel homely. After mom's death there was a void in my life, an emptiness which was filled when she entered my life. I thought she was the most beautiful soul I ever knew. She was kind, empathetic, caring and loving. I thought she was perfect for me until and unless I got to know that she has a boyfriend.

One of her friends told me that they only wish well for me and that's the reason they wanted to tell me that I'm being cheated by Camellia. But like obviously would I believe someone like that? I was blinded my love and emotions and shit like that. I didn't care a damn until one day I heard Camellia talk to someone on the phone.

She was desperately trying to convince someone on the other side that she still loves him. Imagine...the woman who spent a night with me and kept repeating how much she loves me as we were pouncing on each other like hungry animals was confessing her love for someone else the next day morning. I was shattered.