Chapter 18

AVANTHI

I don't understand why men think just because they are men they can be good at any sport? I couldn't stop laughing seeing the condition of the men in the opposite gang. They were sweating, tired and begging for water. But the best part was their so-called 6 pack abs overconfident star player who had challenged me before the beginning of this game. It was fun seeing him pant like a dog.

I stopped for a while when we saw him all ready to collapse when Kiran told me in my ears 'Let it go yaar Ava...we are in the lead by 7 points already. We are anyway going to win it. There is no way that they can score a goal which they haven't in the last 55 minutes. At least let them breathe!!! Poor Neil...see the way he's panting.' she pitied him when I smirked saying 'Then he must have thought before challenging me!!!' I said undoing my ponytail when we heard the referee announce the end of the game. We had won the game with a huge margin. Honestly, I didn't even need to see the score board.

I picked myself a bottle of water when I heard a voice from behind that said
'Wow she won hun??? I mean I never expected her to win. I didn't even think that girl could even play basketball!!'

'Come on Rob. Be a sport. It's just a game!!! And didn't you hear her friend's saying, she was the captain of her college team!!!'

'But Neil...I was shocked when she managed to play the game in those extra long track pants and those loafers. I mean who wears loafers on track pants? That too in a water park? She's... she's so... weird!!! And had she oiled her hair? I know Indians do it but at a water park?'

'I think she's cu-' I didn't wait to hear Neil's response. I had grabbed onto a water bottle and started walking away from there when I heard

'Congratulations!!!'. I turned around and saw Mr Boiled Egg who looked like an omelette to be precise pushing forward his hand to wish me. I didn't prefer to shake hands, rather I just said 'Thanks' and started moving away when he said 'Rude much!!!' and I raised an eyebrow turning around and said 'No Mr Neil. It's about trying to stay away from toxicity!!!' saying I started moving away when he said 'Why do you hate my guts so much? I lost and I gracefully accepted it. I even came to congratulate you. How am I toxic? When clearly the one who's toxic here is you!!!' he announced and I was mad.

'You are toxic because you judged me well in advance just because I'm dressed a certain way and this isn't an Indian sport. Right?' I asked and he suddenly looked elsewhere. He was embarrassed. I smirked saying 'I belong to a government aided school in Mangalore. A Kannada Medium student. I have seen this kinda thing a lot since my school days. Just because I learnt from a Kannada Medium I was considered unfit for English elocution competition. Maybe my accent isn't good enough for all the English medium kids, maybe I don't know how to use fancy phrases like many of you folks or I don't understand synonyms or antonyms more like you guys do but I certainly can try... can't I?
I may not dress up in mini skirts, sports bra or have my hair keratin smoothened but that doesn't mean I'm not cool. Me tying my hair in a pony tail, oiling it and doing a plain shampoo doesn't make me less educated than you... just like my clothes, my English accent or my talent just because it's a less popular sport in India could make me feel low in front of you so called English babies!!!' I let out all my  built up frustration when he parted his lips and said

'Listen Avanthi...I'm sorry...I agree I thought you weren't good at basketball but trust me I didn't judge you on the basis of your English, your dressing or your looks... in fact...I find you extremely attractive!!! You look breathtakingly beautiful even in those tshirt track pants. Something which your friends even in their trendy clothes as well may not be able to compete with.... And your English is fine... girl...it's just that it's not your first language. Infact my brother and I prefer Spanish more than English because we were from that region of the US where Spanish is spoken more than English. So honestly I understand you!!! Stop judging me just because I'm an American!!!' his words left me shocked.