Chapter 16

AVANTHI

9 years ago...

'Ava .. Ava...Ava...Ava!!!' I heard all my classmates cheering for me while I gulped nervously looking at the little shot glasses that were lined up on the counter. Alcohol!!! I've never even tasted it but today I was dragged into this pub because today not only did we finish our final exams of our last semester but amongst my entire gang of friends, I was the only one who managed to crack an offer. It wasn't a big organisation and the package was also not very high but still it was in a big city like Mumbai and it was a respectable private bank.

An 8.5 lakhs per annum package for a fresher was a big deal. At least now I can start paying off my education loan although I got a good amount of scholarship thanks to my consistent grades since my childhood and it made a bigger impact when I topped the university during my BBM. I didn't want to burden dad because Pakku was still doing her graduation and Pranay was aspiring to be a doctor although he was still in school.

I didn't believe in partying and wasting money. Every penny was important to me. My friends and classmates mostly were from richer backgrounds if not had working parents with constant income whereas my father owned a small fruit shop in Mangalore and he was the only bread winner and although Mangalore is a smaller city, it wasn't smaller on expenses. A city with half the people coming from higher middle class or richer business families, Mangalore still gave the best of education yet was on an expensive front or maybe we considered it to be expensive.

Dad was always a man with high self respect and that's what he taught us. None of us kids shied away from working during our summer vacations even if it was designing posters for 500-1000 Rupees for a small scale business or giving tuitions to kids post college hours. I had seen dad struggle mostly after mom's death both mentally and financially and I always wanted him to join his struggle. Mom wasn't earning big, she was a teacher but in a middle class family even a 15000 Rupees salary per month makes a huge difference and it takes a lot of struggle to meet those gaps. Mom's death had left impacts on our lives. Dad had become more mechanical and I understood it. He extended his working hours, Prakruthi and Pranay 's responsibility mostly was on me and I happily took it up. From making snacks for them in the evening to cooking dinner for them. I slowly became their mother rather than their sister.

I was scared when we heard there were only one or two organizations coming to visit us this year. There was recession and I was fully aware of it but I could not bear the fear of burdening dad with my education loan as well when he was struggling to meet ends already. So when some of my friends decided to come to Mumbai for a trip post exams, I decided to hop on. Not for fun but because I had heard that Bangalore is the hub for IT folks, Mumbai was a hub for bankers. I had already rounded up a few private banks those were conducting walkin interviews for the role of marketing HR's and I was more than prepared.

My friends were extremely understanding. They were mostly from business backgrounds and wished to take their father's small scale businesses ahead however being my friends they agreed to accompany me screwing up one entire day of theirs and now that I secured the job I couldn't deny accompanying them to a pub. Honestly this was my first time and it looked filthy expensive. I was willing to treat them but I requested a more sober place for a decent dinner.

We were a group of seven but when everyone told me that they just want to celebrate my big day and I can just treat them the next day at a small scale restaurant I had chosen, I couldn't deny. Nayana and Kiran shared their dress and shoes which by the way was extremely expensive. Designer shit expensive. And Seema shared her accesories. Honestly speaking I felt like Cinderella tonight.

First time tonight I felt men eyeing me. Everyone in my family used to always say that I'm the prettiest amongst cousins but I was always conscious about my clothing. The girl who had never worn skirts below knee length was in a bodycon sleeveless thigh length dress tonight. I felt too exposed but when Kiran asked me to look around. Everyone was wearing something similar. But still exposing my legs I kept pulling the edge of my dress again and again.