Chapter 30

NEIL

I was still in my thoughts when I heard Avanthi saying 'Relax!!! I'm not asking you to roam naked. Don't worry I don't have any such fantasies!!! I told you because it'll help you heal sooner. The doctor told me there are a few conjoined blisters on your back. They need to dry really well and you must not itch them at any cost' saying she sat in front of the dressing mirror combing her hair.

'Wait a minute are you sleeping here? I mean-'

'Why??? I cannot sleep in the same room as yours? Is there a problem?' she asked while raising an eyebrow and keep a hand on her waist. I gulped shaking a no. She rolled her eyes and went back to combing her hair when I said

'Its...it's just that I'm down with chic-'

'Its not like we are sharing a bed Mr.Neil Nayak. You are unwell and I have taken the responsibility to take care of you.' saying she threw a pillow on the nearby couch and sat on it.

'Dont tell me you are sleeping on the couch. I'm not gonna let you-' but she immediately interrupted saying

'When I'm here I'm never gonna let you sleep on couch...I'll take the couch...you take the bed...then we argue then finally we both take the bed. Next morning your leg is on my thigh and your hand on my waist and then we have an intense eyelock.

Oh please...Stop your Indian soap opera. I don't have the time nor energy for it. Just to brief you in short...here you are the one unwell and you need rest. I'm fine. And I'm here because I've been told your rooms are sound proof. Something happens to you in the middle of the night, I may not even know. Don't get any stupid ideas from all this. I'm doing this on humanitarian grounds. Chicken pox if not taken care and can be extremely serious. I've seen my sister suffer. So just stop pretending to be the quintessential tv serial guy and go to bed!!! You may be jobless I have a boss to answer to...I cant take off everyday' saying she lied down on the couch adjusting the AC temperature via the remote.

I slowly lay down on my bed while my eyes fell on the wall. It had so many pictures of hers. It was all for me to see but today she saw it too but she didn't ask me even once about them.

I slightly turned my left seeing her lie down with her eyes closed. Her face held a certain serenity which calmed me down. A smile automatically lingered on my face having her with me in my room. I knew our hearts were distant but at least the physical distance was reduced.

As the sunlight fell on my face again and again peeking through the curtains I finally opened my eyes to a mouthwatering view of my wife rubbing her wet hair. Unlike the typical Indian tv serial heroines who were clad in transparent sarees with Mangalsutra and Sindoor (vermilion), she was in white shirt and a black diana skirt. However with those beautiful wet hair sprawled all across her shirt, at times touching her cheeks, she continued applying blush to her cheeks. Then she pouted to apply some lipstick to those perfect pouty kissable lips. Damn!!! Just the thought alone and I was having morning wood.

Freak!!!

I muttered under my breath when I heard her 'So you are up? How's the fever?' she asked and I nodded saying I'm fine. I freshened up when she brought me oats and fruits for breakfast. I made a face but one look from her and I quietly ate.

'You...you are going to office?' I asked and she said 'My office isn't in Mangalore. I have a meeting with an Australian client. Don't worry I'm not going anywhere. I'm just dressed up for this meeting. Eat quickly. I need to apply the lotion onto your body. I don't know for how long the meeting would go. I have made khichdi and salad for your lunch. I don't want any drama. I have asked the MehrBano to serve your meal on the balcony. She will leave it there for you. Enjoy some fresh air and have your meal.' and I raised an eyebrow asking