Chapter 59

Just like you had predicted, Jess ran.

Or at least, she started to.

She booked it from your front porch, down the steps -almost tripping as she lost her footing and ran to your driveway. Poor girl couldn't even make it to her car before Alastor had teleported from where he was, now blocking the driver's side door of her vehicle. This sudden appearance of course prompted your friend to finally let out a scream, and she begun to back away.

"I'm so glad I don't have neighbors." You muttered to yourself, wincing at her shrill shriek even coming through the wall.

She turned to run again but once more did not get very far. Where exactly she was trying to run to you weren't sure, but in her panicked state you could only imagine she wasn't thinking logically. It was almost like witnessing a loony toon skit with how she'd run and Al would just pop up in front of her. You let out a small cough with an exasperated sigh and finally walked over to your front door. Upon opening it you were about to call out for her, but by then the perpetual chase between her and Alastor had given the woman such a fright that she passed out right in the grass.

"Shit." You muttered, coming outside and rushing over to her. You knelt down on the grass and carefully turned your friend onto her back. "At least she didn't hit her head."

"I think I frightened her." Alastor said.

"You don't say." You replied with an air of annoyance. "Let's just get her inside. I don't suppose you know any spells for memory, do you?"

"Spells, no. But sometimes if you hit someone in the head just right-"

"We are not doing that!"

"It's either that or try to convince her it wasn't real!"

"How could we do that?" You grumbled. "We don't even know how long she was standing there for. God dammit... needed this like a fuckin' hole in the head."

"She was standing there long enough to get a good look, at least. That's for sure." He said bitterly, hoisting your friends upper half up off the ground while you grabbed her feet and helped carry her inside. "Jess doesn't have the gift of gab, does she?"

"If you're asking if she'll talk, I hope not. I mean she's kept a lot of secrets for me before..."

"Think she'll keep this one?"

"Who would believe her anyway?" You asked, grunting a little as you adjusted your grip on your friends ankles. Granted Jess was about average build but still, lifting a limp, dead-weight wasn't exactly easy. You silently thanked Alastor for helping seeing as he was stronger than you and made the effort easier. "It's the twenty first century," you added. "no one is going to believe her if she cries demon. And the people that would believe it are probably not worth worrying about."

"Are you sure, Y/n?"

"No... But I am optimistic." You said quietly. "I am gonna make sure she didn't take any pictures or videos on her phone, though."

"It's rude to snoop." He mentioned.

"Would you rather I chance it?"

"Touché."

You and Alastor had hoisted your friend onto your couch and gently laid her down. The poor thing still out cold. You begrudgingly took her phone out of her pocket and unlocked it, briefly glancing through her recent pictures and made sure there wasn't a shred of evidence of her spotting a demon. Putting her phone back, you grimaced slightly as you looked at her; feeling a twinge of remorse that she had to find out this way let alone find out at all. She always thought you told her everything and, for the most part you did. But could one blame you for keeping a secret like this? Knowledge of a man undead, who's heinous sins condemned him to an eternity of damnation; and you married him.