Chapter 39

(TW: gore, violence, graphic imagery, cannibalism, prejudice, upsetting situations and unlawful/unjust authority figures. Proceed with caution.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright, come on." You sighed, kissing Alastor on his forehead before gently removing yourself from the hold he had on you and got out of bed. He sat up and looked at you in confusion as he waved a hand to turn on the light in your room.

"What?" He wondered. "Where are we going, it's three in the morning?"

"Kitchen." You yawned. "If I'm gonna be awake at 3am, I'm gonna be awake with a full stomach. Come on."

You left the room, feeling your way through the dark house until you reached the kitchen and turned on the light. Binx getting off of your bed and doing a big stretch, kneading his paws into the floor as he did so before trotting after you. Alastor chuckled at the sight, figuring the feline was hoping you'd feed him too while you were down there. With a gentle sigh the stag arose from your bed, taking one of your lighter blankets with him as he bundled himself up and made his way downstairs to be with you. Looking adorable as shit as he came walking in.

You couldn't help but blush faintly at the sight of him, looking all comfy cozy in your favorite blanket, his hair messy and tussled and his cute fluffy ears drooped downward tiredly.

"What are you making?" He asked, watching you as you retrieved a few things from the fridge as well as a pan and spatula.

"Quesadilla." You answered softly. "Want one?"

"I'm alright, but thank you." He nodded. He sauntered over to the kitchen counter and leaned back up against it. Watching as you began to prepare food for yourself.

In his emotional and fatigued state he found it easy to let his mind wander. His gaze fixated on you, his brain running through all the little things about you that he adored. Things you would probably overlook in yourself. How your face adorably scrunches a little when you smile really big at him, how you get super excited talking about things you enjoy, sometimes so excited you end up jumbling your words together; your little moments of clumsiness, the focused look in your eyes when you're concentrating on something. So many little things, he simply adored it all. Everything your existence had to offer he appreciated deeply.

He thought about all your date nights, whether you were out partying in towns you had traveled to for work or enjoying a night in the house watching cartoons or whatever you were in the mood to watch that day. To moments like one day when you were both in your car belting out the song bohemian rhapsody, how you both smiled and laughed so hard it brought tears to both of you. Or the time you both went to the pet store and Alastor practically had to drag you out because you would've brought every puppy, bird, bunny and hamster home with you otherwise.

Remembering countless occasions with you, he smiled softly to himself. It helped ease his nerves a little, bringing him to a state of neutrality where he no longer felt like crying. But instead he could take a breath and relax a bit. In his clouded thoughts, he recalled the night you both met and the offer he presented with the deal; then recalled the night he murdered your ex. He then furrowed his brows as he silently thought upon those moments, it made him rather curious about a thing or two the more he focused on it.

"Y/n, may I ask you something?"

You hummed softly and looked back at him for a second before returning to folding the tortilla on the pan in front of you. "Yeah, of course." You said.

"Why..." he began, pausing as he tried to think of a polite way to ask. "Forgive me if this is too bold. But, why when someone is in a relationship that is bad for them, do they sometimes stay? Even if the hurt and pain is so obviously wrong? I know that's a sore subject... But, I truly just struggle to understand."