Chapter 44

Sentimental was not a word Alastor ever thought he'd use to describe himself.

Of course, that was before you had his heart.

You had hand-written him a short love letter, reaffirming your care and devotion for him. Signing it with a kiss print in deep red lipstick, and a light sprits of his favorite perfume that you wore.

It made his heart swell with joy when you gave it to him. He thought the gesture was just the sweetest thing, appreciating the thoughtfulness. He tucked it into his pocket, with the intention of putting it in his wallet later. Planning on keeping it next to the little polaroid photograph he had of you from when you visited New Orleans together.

The night before he had to be present for the exterminations felt so short despite being up late together. The wind whipped and howled outside your bedroom window, sounding like low groans against the walls of your house.

You both spent most of the night in your bed; listening to music, talking, kissing and snuggling. Neither of you wanted the night to end, neither of you wanted him to leave. Soft music filled the room as you lay tangled in each other. Your heavy eyes beginning to close while Alastor planted a few gentle kisses on your forehead.

"Sleepy?" He hummed, gravel in his voice. He looked down at you and smiled gently. You looked so adorable, all curled up to him and tuckered out. Looking so sweet in your pajamas. He curled a strand of your hair around his finger. "My little sleepy sweetheart~." He cooed in a whisper, chuckling softly in spite of himself.

"No." You lied, nestling your face into his chest. "I'm just resting my eyes."

"Oh, I see. My apologies." He hummed with a little amusement.

You hugged him a little tighter, which he took notice off. Squeezing you a little before relaxing his hold. "I don't want to fall asleep." You said. "Because you won't be here when I wake up, and I'll have no idea what's happening with you the whole time you're gone."

"I know you're nervous," he said gently, rubbing your back as he held you. "I am too. Would you feel better if I have my shadow stay behind with you?"

"I'd feel a little better." You said with a gentle yawn.

"He'll be with you until I return. Unless for some reason I need him for the extra reinforcement." He promised. "Sleep, my dear. You need your rest."

"Promise me you'll be careful?" You asked. Listening to the sound of his heart beating in his chest. Slow and steady, like the beating of a drum. It was the best sound in the world, next to the cute little noises he'd make when he dreams.

"I promise. Look, here..." he gently nudged you so you would open your eyes, and you saw him presenting his pinky finger to you. "I pinky promise I'll try to be extra careful."

"A pinky promise?" You reiterated, reaching up and interlocking your pinky with his. "Al this is serious, pinky promise is sacred."

He chuckled quietly, happy that you were at least amused by his efforts. His eyes trailed lower down your body as he held you, his gaze slowly panning to the spots on your neck where he had bitten you. The most recent being a few days old, the imprints of his teeth still clear as day. Would probably leave scars, honestly. The sight of his mark on your silken skin made him fall into a series of thoughts. His ears flattening to his head as he looked. Your eyes fluttered open and noticed his disheartened expression.

"Penny for your thoughts, baby?" You hummed.

"Just thinking." He sighed. "About you. And my work. My hobbies."

"You don't really talk much about work, outside of broadcasting."

"What would you like to know, sweetheart?" He asked, pulling you close to him and holding you by the waist. You nodded, looking up at him with doe eyes.