Make a wish

Hanon

My shift went by just like any other day. Costumers coming in and out, some rude, some nice.  Cameron criticizing me every five minutes and everyone else just looking with pity.

Until I was at the end of my shift and getting ready to leave.

"Hey, Hanon. Are you leaving?" Isaac asked me.

"Yes, I was just leaving. My shift ended. Why?" I asked him getting nervous.

I didn't want him to bully me like Cameron and I was sure I wasn't leaving earlier.

Maybe he wants me to cover his shift.

"I wanted to ask you if you want to hang out during the weekend"

I was honestly shocked when I heard him say that. I was expecting anything but that.

I have plans with Kai during the weekend.

Isaac seemed like a nice guy. Well, I don't know if he was that much of a nice guy since he was friends with Cameron and never defended me in front of him. However, I didn't want to go out with him.

I didn't know why. For some reason, Kai was all I could think of when I asked myself why. It seemed weird to hang out with anyone that wasn't Kai.

"I'm sorry, I have plans" I politely declined with a smile.

"What about another day then?" He insisted.

"We'll see. I really need to go home now" I told him, waving goodbye as I walked to the bus stop.

I was honestly relieved when I got on the bus, away from him.

I rushed home wanting to relax and spend time with Kai. Kai was like my escape and my safe place.

So when I opened the door everytime and saw him waiting right inside I couldn't help the big smile on my face.

"You're back" He beamed and hugged me, dropping almost all of his bodyweight on me.

"Kai, I'm dirty. Let me take a shower first" I chuckled at his excitement.

"It doesn't matter" He murmured. 

"Come on, let me take a shower and then we'll spend time together"

He rolled his eyes, but he was still smiling, "Fine"

I took a shower as fast as I could and then went to the kitchen where he was.

"I served dinner" He announced. 

Kai usually did all the chores around the house and cooked. I never asked him to, but he said he liked it. Sometimes he would say he was thinking of trying to find a job, but I would try to change the subject and make him forget about it.

I didn't want him to get hurt again. At least not now. People at work, whether it's customers, coworkers or employers, can be mean.

He's just getting better.

"You can have the steak, I'll eat some of the rest" I told him as usual.

No, it wasn't that I didn't like meat. I loved it actually. 

But it was so expensive and he needed it more so I had to lie to him and tell him I don't like it.

"No"

"No?"

What is he trying to say?

"You said you eat meat once every two weeks. It's been more than that and you haven't so you'll do it today"