Chapter 39

Cassie and her parents walked into the house. Harold threw the keys to the side and took off his coat. He kissed the two females on the temple before dismissing himself and going upstairs to the master bedroom.

"Why were you with them?" Vanessa asked, referring to Stiles and Scott. "I told you to stop hanging out with them."

"I know, but mom-"

"Why were you with them?" she asked, the tone in her voice getting more stern and demanding.

She stayed silent, trying to come up with an excuse to prevent herself revealing Scott being a werewolf and her being a witch. But her mind was a complete blank.

Vanessa scoffed, crossing her arms. "Cassie, I can't even tell if I'm furious or just disappointed in you right now. You deliberately disobeyed me and look where that got you. In another near-death experience."

"Mom, they're my friends, okay? I didn't think it would end up like that."

"Bullshit! Your father raised you better than to not know the possible consequences of your actions. Take a hint. Whenever you're around them, things just seem to put you in a near-death situation. First, it was the school incident, then you get a restraining order, and now this! I am forbidding you to hang out with them again, and you will listen to me this time."

"Mom, you can't do this!"

"And why not, hm? Please enlighten me on why I can't." Then, she realized. "You like one of them, don't you?"

"Mom, that's not the point of this conversation-"

"No, I think it is. You like one of those boys so much that you're willing to risk your life for them," she interrupted. "It's the one with the short hair, isn't it? The one that took you to that formal?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes, it is. And his name is Stiles. Not that you cared enough to even learn his name."

"Cassie, I am warning you this right now. Do not throw your life away for just some boy."

"He's not just a boy! He's caring, smart, funny, determined, loyal, trusting, and so much more."

"I don't care. He's obviously a bad influence on you, and you know how important your future is to your dad. If you mess this all up-"

"I won't become a stupid Lawyer like Lottie?" she said, finishing her mom's sentence. "Well, no offense, but it's not really your place to decide my future. You're just some woman my dad brought home to replace my real mother."

Once she saw Vanessa's expression slightly changed, she realized what she had said and instantly regrated it.

"Mom, I didn't mean-"

"No, you did. Otherwise, you wouldn't have said it," she said, refusing to meet Cassie's eyes. "Do what you want. Like you said, it's not my place to make decisions for you."

Cassie saw a few tears slide down her cheeks as Vanessa walked upstairs.

"Fuck," she muttered, running her hairs through her, now messy, curls.

She sighed, grabbing her mom's car keys and heading out the door, knowing exactly what to do.

--

Cassie knocked on the door to the Stilinski household. Noah was the one to answer the door.

"Cassie, hey. Are you here for Stiles?"

"Yes, actually. Is he still here?"

"Yeah, he's in his room." He moved to the side, letting her walk in, before walking through the door.

She thanked him and he gave her a single nod. She walked up the stairs and knocked on the door to Stiles' bedroom. When Stiles opened the door, she could see his face light up just from the sight of her.

"Cass, hey. What are you doing here?"

"We need to talk," she said, slipping past him and into his room.

He shut the door behind her, confused and a bit concerned. He walked over to her and turned her to face him. He sat her down on the edge of his bed and kneeled down to her level, grabbing her hands.

"What's happened? What's wrong?"

She looked into his eyes, struggling to find the words she needed to say to him. Seeing his concern for her made her heart melt, but it also made her even guiltier.

"I know we've only been dating for a few days, but my mom found out and..."

"She doesn't like me," he said, finishing her sentence when she trailed off.

She nodded. "I need to break up with you, Stiles."

"What?" He pulled his hands away and stood up from to his feet.

"Stiles," she called out, standing up from his bed. "I just... my family matters so much to me. You have to understand why I'm doing this."

"No, I really don't, Cass."

She sighed, not knowing what else to say. "I'm sorry."

She walked past him and opened the door. She resisted the urge to look back at him before walking out. She saw Noah standing outside the room to the right of the door. He awkwardly smiled at her, realizing that he had been caught. She half smiled back at him before walking down the stairs and out the door.

Noah walked into his son's room and saw him sitting in the place Cassie was sitting, still trying to process what just happened. He sighed, walking towards him and sitting next to him.

"Sorry kid."

"Yeah, me too."