Episode 4 Chapter 29

"I'm so sorry about the other day. I'm trying. We'll get through this. I know because I love you."

"Whoa, am I interrupting some really intense bromance?"

Stiles and Scott's head snapped towards Cassie's direction who had a wide grin on her face and her arms crossed over her chest.

"No, you're not. I'm just helping Scott and Allison talk to each other. By the way, I can't do this anymore, Scott. You and Allison just have to find a better way to communicate!"

"Come on. You're the only one that we can trust. Is she coming to the game tonight?"

"Why is he the only one you guys can trust? I'm literally Allison's best friend," she complained. "By the way, yes, she's coming to the game tonight."

"Thank you, Cassie," Scott said. She nodded and went to go sit beside Stiles on the steps.

"Alright, now tell us about your boss," Stiles said.

"He thinks that Allison's family keeps some kind of records of all the things that they've hunted. Like a book."

"Oh, he probably means a bestiary."

"If you guys need help, my grimoire-"

"I think you mean bestially," Scott chuckled, cutting Cassie's sentence off.

"Nope, pretty sure I don't."

"It's like an encyclopedia of mythical creatures," Cassie said, a little upset that people keep cutting her sentences off.

"How am I the only one who doesn't seem to know anything about this stuff?"

"Okay, you know, you're my best friend, you're a creature of the night. It's kind of like a priority of mine."

"Okay, if we can find it, and it can tell us what this thing is... "

"And who," Stiles added.

"We need that book," Scott and Stiles said in synch.

--

It was Cassie's last class of the day. She was walking with Stiles, who was panting and sweating from running back and forth to Scott and Allison all day.

"Hey, Stiles?"

"Yeah?"

"What did the creature look like? The one that killed the mechanic. Describe it to me in every detail."

"Why do you need to know this?"

Because I'm feel like I'm not doing anything to help you guys and it's killing me.

"I just want to try to help you and Scott figure out what it is."

"Um, okay. It had scales, not like a fish, but kind of like a snake. Its eyes were slitted, they looked pretty reptilian actually. It has these massive claws, not like Scott's or Derek's, they looked longer, sharper," he explained. "That's pretty much all I can remember."

She nodded, taking in all the information. "Thanks, Stiles. I'll see you at the game. Text me the plan for tonight."

--

As soon as she and Em got home, she rushed upstairs to her room and got out her grimoire. She flipped through the pages until she found an illustration of a creature that looked exactly like Stiles' description.

"Scales like a snake... slitted, reptilian eyes... long and sharp claws..." she muttered, skimming her fingers lightly over the picture. "Kanima, creature of vengeance, a reptilian shapeshifter that seeks out a master," she read softly.