Episode 8 Chapter 34

Cassie was locking up her bike at the bike rack. Em had a fever, so their mom forced her to stay home. She wasn't complaining, of course. As Cassie took out her earbuds, someone tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around to see who it was, and it was Matt.

"Hey, you ready for the rave?"

She furrowed her brows and chuckled awkwardly. "What rave?"

"The one where you said you'd be my date to," he replied.

"Um, I'm sorry, Matt, but I don't remember agreeing to be your date to anywhere."

"It was yesterday, when you were walking to the locker room."

"Really?" He nodded. "Oh, sorry. I was a little bit out of it yesterday, so I don't remember much of anything before detention."

"Oh, it's alright. But you know how you can make it up to me?"

"Uh, give you my lunch money?" she guessed.

"No, by being my date to the rave. How does that sound?"

She hesitated. On one hand, she hated parties. Her social anxiety never let her enjoy things in front of people she doesn't know. On the other, she didn't want to be rude. And she did feel a bit bad for saying she would be his date and then forgetting about it the next day.

~~

"There's gotta be some other way to get tickets. Right?" Scott said, getting out of Stiles' jeep.

"It's a secret show. There's only one way, and it's a secret..." he trailed off when he saw Matt talking to Cassie. He started to become jealous at the sight, and Scott noticed.

"Yo, dude, you reek of jealousy right now." He looked in the direction he was looking in. "Oh, that's why."

"What are they talking about?"

He sighed as he listened in to their conversation. "He said that she said she agreed to being his date to the rave, but she doesn't remember." He paused. "Now he's trying to get her to be his date again."

"Oh, hell no."

"No, Stiles!"

Stiles stormed his way over to Cassie and Matt with Scott following behind to make sure he didn't do anything he would most likely not regret. He stood beside Cassie, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

"Hey Cass," he greeted. He gritted his teeth when he turned to Matt. "Matt."

"Hi, Stiles. What are you doing?" Cassie asked.

"Oh, I just wanted to see my beloved girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" Matt said.

"Girlfriend?" Cassie whispered to Stiles.

He turned to look at her with a loving smile. "Girlfriend."

She became flustered at the thought of finally being Stiles Stilinski's girlfriend. She turned to Matt with pink tinted cheeks.

"Yep, that's me. I'm his girlfriend. We're dating," she said, interlocking her hand with Stiles' hand hanging on her shoulder.

Matt spotted Scott walking up to them. "I actually have something to tell you and Scott. Do either of you guys know why no one's getting suspended after what happened the other day at school?"

"Just forget about it," Stiles replied. "Nobody got hurt."

"I-I had a concussion," Matt said.

"Well, nobody got seriously hurt."

"I was in the E.R for six hours," he scoffed.

"Hey, you wanna know the truth, Matt? Your little bump on the head is about..." he paused to take his hand off of Cassie's shoulder and bent down sideways to the ground with his hand hovering above it. "This high on our list of problems right now."

Stiles sighed as he got back up and put his arm back around Cassie's shoulders as Scott stepped forward to Matt.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine now. So, you didn't get any tickets last night either."

Scott shook his head. "Are they still selling?"

"Uh, no. But I did manage to find two online. You should keep trying. Sounds like everybody's going to be there," he replied before walking away to the entrance of the school.

"I don't like him," Stiles spoke. "Hey, are you sure about this?"

"Last time, whoever's controlling Jackson had to kill somebody because he didn't finish the job, so what do you think he's going to do this time?"

"Be there to make sure it happens," Stiles replied.

The three walked away to the entrance of the school after their conversation. Cassie was still smiling at the fact that she was officially Stiles' girlfriend.

--

"Ketamine?"

"It's the same stuff we use on dogs, just a higher dosage," Deaton replied. "If you can get close enough to Jackson, it should slow him down enough to buy you some time. This is some of what you'll use to create the barrier."

He held up a small jar with some sort of ash in it. Cassie immediately recognized what it was.

"Mountain ash," she muttered.

He nodded. "This part is for you, Stiles. Only you."

"Uh, that sounds like a lot of pressure," he commented, taking the jar from the table. "Can we maybe find a slightly less pressure filled task for me?"

"Just as Cassandra said-"

"Cassie," she corrected.

"Cassie. This is mountain ash, which comes from the mountain ash tree, which is believed by many cultures to protect against the supernatural. But sometimes, it has exceptions, like witches. This office is lined with ashwood, making it difficult for someone like Scott to cause me any trouble."

"Okay. So, then what? I just spread this around the whole building and then either Jackson or whoever's controlling him can't cross it?" he questioned.

Deaton nodded. "They'll be trapped."

Scott looked at Stiles. "Doesn't sound too hard," he said, trying to reassure Stiles.

"Not all there is. Think of it like gunpowder. It's just powder, until a spark ignites it. You need to be that spark, Stiles."

"If you mean light myself on fire, I don't think I'm up for that."

"Stiles, he means that you see it in your mind and then your mind takes over. It's actually pretty cool to see what the force of your own will can do," Cassie explained.

Deaton nodded. "Correct again, Cassie. If this is going to work, Stiles, you have to believe it."

Stiles hummed in response, clearly nervous.

"By the way," Cassie said. "Who the hell are you?"

"Oh, Deaton, Scott's boss," he held out his hand for her to shake it.

"I know, but how do you know so much about the supernatural?" Cassie asked as she shook his hand.

"Better question is, how do you?"

The boys looked at her, curious to know why she does know so much about the supernatural.

"Back in San Fransico, I used to have a friend who was a werewolf. I was kind of like the Stiles to his Scott. We didn't go through things like this though. The only things that we went through together were full moons."

"You said, "used to have a friend". What happened to them?" Scott asked.

She shrugged. "Don't know, he stopped talking to me when I moved to Beacon Hills."

Stiles grabbed her hand and squeezed it comfortingly. She smiled at the gesture and rested her head on his shoulder.