Episode 5 Chapter 30

"Sitting alone?"

Cassie looked up from her Vampire Diaries book and saw the boy she bumped into the other day.

"Yeah, how'd you know?" she replied sarcastically, shutting her book close.

"I just figured since you're sitting alone on a tree trunk," he said, sitting next to her. "What are you reading."

"Oh, it's dumb, really."

"Dumb or not, I'm interested."

She smiled, happy that someone besides Em was interested in what she liked. "It's about this vampire who's, like, over a century year old and he falls in love with a human girl. But the twist is that the human girl looks exactly like his old girlfriend from the 1860's but she's not the same person. She's kind of like a-"

"Doppelganger?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"Just a guess."

"Anyways, he has this brother and he's also a vampire, but he also falls in love with the girl. And they all get mixed up in supernatural drama, like, werewolves, hybrids, witches, travelers, doppelgangers. It was a bit confusing to me at first, but the more I read it, the more I understood it."

"Who does the girl chose?"

"In the show, the brother. In the books, I have no idea. It's my first time reading them," she replied. "Let's talk about you. What do you like to do?"

"Photography."

"Cool, what do you like to take pictures of?"

"Lacrosse, nature, basically anything that catches my eye."

She nodded. "Can I see some?"

He was about to reply before he received a text message. "Um, sorry. Maybe later, I have to go see someone right now," he said, getting up from his seat and grabbing his bag. "It was nice talking to you."

"You too," she replied just before he left.

--

It was chemistry class with Mr. Harris himself. Cassie was still ignoring the group. She was sitting on the table next to Lydia with her chin resting on her palm. She could feel Stiles' stare as she zoned out onto the floor.

"Einstein once said "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the universe". I myself have encountered infinite stupidity," he said, patting Stiles on the shoulder. "So, to combat the plague of ignorance in my class, you're going through a round of group experiments. Let's see if two heads are indeed better than one. Or in Mr. Stilinksi's case, less than one. Erica, you take the first station. You'll start with..."

He trailed off when he saw half the boys in the class raising their hands to be partnered up with Erica. "I didn't ask for volunteers. Put your hormonal little hands down. Start with Mr. McCall. Alright, next two. Miss Williams and Mr. Lahey."

After he called out the rest of the names for partners, Issaac moved his stuff to sit with Cassie. Instead of helping like he was supposed to do, he just saw there, staring at Cassie as she tried to create the crystal. She noticed and started getting frustrated that she was the only one doing the work.

"You know, Issaac, this is supposed to be a group effort," she mumbled.

"Erica told me about your little break down the night of the game," he said, putting his hand right on the edge of her skirt. "If I were there, I don't think I would've controlled myself around you," he whispered into her ear while lightly squeezing her thigh.