Hidden Motives (I)

Is this for real? 942 votesI opened wattpad today, only to be greeted with so many votes thank you so much of appreciating this story though I don't know if the story makes sense to you or not

I opened wattpad today, only to be greeted with so many votes thank you so much of appreciating this story though I don't know if the story makes sense to you or not.

It's become a pastime of mine to play out many scenarios of this story before I wake up to see what I would look like if I were the main character, so I simply write anything comes to mind or whatever bizarre or out-of-this-world dream I wake up with.

Is there anyone else beside me who dose this or only I'm the weird one?

Well whatever thanks for the votes once again🥹(happy face with tears!)
And enjoy the story!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Alexander's POV-

The competition will be held in a week from now. Since I was out of the capital city for almost a year I'm lacking in the information department or rather I never felt the need to remember anything not noteworthy since the chances of encountering a noble out in Beast Glades was next to zero unless and until someone's luck has run out.

Well from the information I got from Kaspian was more than enough to update me, out of all the families that are participating Kaspian told me to keep an eye for the representatives of 3 of them.

The Aurae family, The Wykes family, The Flamesworth family all of these families are influential and powerful. Not only for being noble but also having exceptional magic flowing through their blood.

The Aurae family was among the elites of the kingdom in terms of power and influence, the family has a long history of exceptional mages having ice affinity. There is also a rumor about the current daughter of the house of Aurae to have inherited the ice affinity and is very powerful but for some reason she doesn't show up much in public. So, there is still speculation about her powers.

Second The Wykes family, a family with a long history of shady experiments. The Wykes family is famous for indulging into nefarious means to produce mages of better quality, there are also rumors about them breeding with elven slaves. The possession of elven slaves is banned by the country in the treaty of last war but since Wykes are one of the influential families and the rulers won't involve the country for these small matters. So, there are no repercussions for them.

The youngest son of Wykes family is currently an adventurer and is also participating in the competition, Kaspian told me, he and I registered the same day he was assigned to B-rank but he will soon be promoted to A-rank according to his accomplishments if he can pass the ranking upgrade evaluation.

Well, at least I found something to look forward to, and the last is the house of Flamesworth, a bunch of people with an occult-like belief system that fire magic is superior to all the other elemental magic.

The competition, though held for noble families, can choose someone else to represent them in the competition. Which is precisely the reason why I can participate in the competition in the first place. And if shown exceptional capabilities, one can get the chance to attend the Xyrus academy and it is even possible to become a disciple of the Director Godsky if she sees potential in the candidate.

Which is actually one in a lifetime chance, since Director Godsky is mid silver core mage with proficiency in wind and sound as explained by Kaspian and influence comparable to a noble family even the King and Queen can't ignore her. But he also told me that she hasn't taken even a single disciple till now.

The information was more overwhelming than I originally thought, so I put all the documents aside. There is still time before the competition so I would rather do the quest than read a bunch of nonsensical politics between the nobles. I'll deal with them when the time comes.

I took a big breath and stretched since I had spent too much time unwinding. Even though I can't increase my powers any further with B-rank mana cores; A or S rank mana beasts are hard to find in groups because the stronger the beast gets, the more he wants to be the leader so they form separate groups, it is irrelevant at the moment and I have to kill 9 B-rank mana Beasts every day for 2 years to finish the quest just before the deadline.

And the competition will only increase the rate at which I've to hunt so I will balance out the game this week to not feel burdensome later. The area I was hunting in previously is about to become a beginners zone since there are no higher ranking beasts left. I've heard there is a recent increase in the mana-beast on the border of Beast Glades and the Eleven nation "Elenoir".

—Author's POV—

Alexander departed the inn since his task was over and there was no longer a need for him to stay. At the door of the inn he stretched himself. His body was in such perfect harmony at the time that it seemed as though he had just gone to another dimension or had gained enlightenment. He drew a big breath in and closed his eyes then gathered mana all over his body, strengthening his already monstrous body even further, before blurring into nothingness. He was utilizing the ability Blinking Steps, which enables users to make quick movements, and speed of this skill rises with proficiency.

He was initially unable to employ this technique for lengthy journeys, but when his mana level increased, this skill can be used for elongated period of time. He is now able to sustain his lightning speed for hours and go vast distances in a single bound.

Additionally, he learned how to accelerate even more by enveloping his body in the wind, which will lower the pressure in front of him and help him propel forward by decreasing the air resistance. However, there is still little use for this combined ability in combat because Alexander must augment his entire body on top of having to maintain two distinct skills at once for a longer period of time and risk heavy damage if anyone of them releases due to lack of concentration. Therefore Alexander only uses blinking steps in battle to gain speed boost to get upper hand in combat.

The speed at which he was moving right now normal people weren't even able to see the blur, realizing only when the strong gust of wind that followed him greets them; only some capable mage with wind affinity could follow his movements.

After 4 hours of non stop running he finally reached his destination, his new battleground. Through Kaspian he got to know that the B-rank mana beasts were gathering around this area. And the guild hasn't issued a subjugation request since it will require further investigation to evaluate the rank of mission and the reward. But they won't have to worry now since it will be over before they can send their investigation team.