(CHAPTER 6, PART 3) Beast of Hope

Nagito Komaeda was Ultimate Lucky Student #2...

...this only really truly meant that his luck just. Fluctuated.

Some say that when he was born, he was both cursed and blessed. By which being his birth month was considered unlucky and his birth day being lucky according to his family's beliefs.

This fluctuating luck essentially went with him everywhere, resulting in small moments of good luck and...causing the people he was close with to die. His parents died after a plane hijacking incident when he was 10, and almost everyone else close to him would die as well, mostly from at least one or more illnesses he had growing up spreading to them...

This cycle of fortune and misfortune also meant his health was in a... wild state.

When he was 14, he was diagnosed with lymphoma, a cancer that starts in the lymphatic system that happened to cause his underweight frame and paler-than-normal skin. The problem was that, by the time the doctor diagnosed it, it had spread to a lot of other areas, causing his early white hair and raspy, hollow voice. Of course, that wasn't the only thing... Later, he was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia, a disease only really mostly seen in those who are much later of age. His doctor said that he'd only have 6 months to live...except the fact that his luck allowed him to outlive this expected time.

The only others around him who truly knew about this, of course, were the staff members of Hope's Peak.

Despite him being a problematic student and obsessed with hope to a concerning level... most couldn't help but... feel sorry.

Gaikotsu Tokei, especially.

She obviously had a lot of sympathy for... well... any student that had been through a fuckton. However, she wasn't sure if she could take him in... considering what he would usually leave in his wake...

Of course, the Gaikari lineage had always been through much crazier.

Hikari knew what she was thinking.

Coming from a spiritual background, he was much more concerned about what curses or bad luck could do to their family, ESPECIALLY the kind that Nagito brought with him...

"Are you sure it's a good idea?"

"To be honest... not really."

"Then why are you thinking about it???"

"It's what I do, Hikari! I show compassion and sympathy for many!!!! Mukuro almost ended the world, how's Nagito worse?!"

"The risk of not only us, but our own children and their partners dying???"

"....Then I'll see what I can do to make it so it doesn't happen. Regardless of circumstances, it's only natural to feel sorry for someone who's been through a lot. I thought you felt that before." Tokei said, with determined bitterness within her teary eyes.

"Are you saying that I didn't feel bad for anyone under this house??"

"I KNOW YOU DO... YOU JUST SEEM TO HAVE A FUCKED DOUBLE STANDARD WHEN IT COMES TO HIM."

While the two were arguing, someone happened to overhear them

"...Mama...? P-... papa...?"

That someone happened to be their daughter Mikan.

The two immediately heard their daughter and remorsefully quieted down.

"S... sorry, sweetheart..." Tokei let the tears out.

"Oh gods, I am SO sorry you had to hear that, Miki..." Hikari said, tearing up a bit.

"I... forgive you both, I just want to know what's... going on..."