Patch of Sunlight

You've got a rich white girl, growing up with the best the Ark had to offer. A direct connection to the Chancellor, Councilman as a Father, large quarters, never worrying about whether she would eat that day.

She's gorgeous, even as a child. She has these stunning green eyes, the light, forest kind of green. She has beautiful brown hair that is thick and wavy. Her cheekbones almost seem swollen, that's how defined they are. And she's got an incredible mind, that is always thinking, always calculating, always remembering.

Audelia Kane is born with all the access and opportunities she wants. Jobs, places, drugs, parties, a get-out-of-jail-unlimited-times card. Anything and everything at her disposal.

But she had no one. Not anymore.

No siblings, no extended family.

But she did have two parents who were so into their own worlds that they were all but indifferent to Audelia's existence. Although, they never shied away from making her pose or say something smart for their friends.

But Audelia spends her childhood, in general, rather alone. She was, however, a rather gregarious, outgoing kid. Audelia would often come to the Med Center to help out just because she liked the Doctors, she would go the Agro Station in the Ark to help them water and care for the plants just because she wanted to talk to the trees.

This girl desperately wanted to connect. With someone, anyone. But there was no one in her life truly interested in who she was, especially not her parents.

And a part of her broke, but it was also how she grew up to be who she was.

=============================

Bellamy sat up from his spot in the bed. I watched his back, the muscles move as he sat up, and then stood, finding his clothes in the mess that we left behind.

I did something that I had never done with anyone I had shared a night with before. I reached out and pressed my hand on his back.

Bellamy turned around to face me. His eyes darker in the barely lit room. They looked like home.

"Stay", I whispered quietly, barely audible. I doubted he heard me. But he laid back down, and pulled the blanket up to cover himself.

We remained in bed, quiet and in silence for a long time. The entire time, we didn't make eye contact, we did not touch, we didn't even turn to each other.

Then finally, he broke the silence. "Was it good?", he asked. Not out of insecurity, or embarrassment. He was curious.

I liked curiosity. I answered it truthfully. "It was different", I said, without hesitation. "Everything is always different with you".

"How so?", he asked, finally turning his head a little towards me. I didn't look at him yet.

"I don't have to play games with you", I explained, finally turning to face him. Our eyes met. "Everything is always real".

Bellamy did not react, he did not move his lips or his eyes. He just listened.

"With everyone else... I feel like I am acting a part", I continued. "I pretend to feel a certain way. I pretend to have the feelings they want me to have, to make life easier for everyone. It makes me feel lonely.".

Bellamy had an unreadable expression in his eyes. Yet he did not say anything. He knew I needed to say this.

"But with you", I said, sighing as I looked over his features. "It's always real. Every feeling I feel, every emotion, every thought. I'm never lonely with you".

Bellamy turned away then, looking up at the ceiling. I watched him, squeezing my lips tight.

He would reject me, I knew, and I would deserve every moment of it.