Physical Attraction, Chemical Reaction

"Kane", said a voice behind me, making me pull away from my dad. I looked behind me and saw Indra, who nodded at me with respect. Thanks to the fact that I was Lexa's second, she finally treated me like a human being, with respect, and even listened to my advice here and there.

"Hello, my friend.", greeted my dad and I looked between Indra and him with a smile. Who would've thought.

"Chancellor Griffin, welcome. I hope you're enjoying the capital.", continued Indra with a polite look on her face.

"I am, and thank you for ensuring my daughter's and Audelia's safety.", thanked Abby.

"The Commander did that. You can thank her yourself at the summit tonight.", continued Indra, which reminded me to have to go pick out an appropriate outfit later. I ordered one a couple days ago, hoping it would be finished by the time the summit happened.

"I would like to see Clarke.",pushed Abby and I drew in a sharp breath.

"Soon", replied Indra, walking past them, and towards some of her people.

"Abby...", I tried to comfort her but she shook her head.

"I knew you would be suited for this job", replied Abby looking at my dad with sad eyes. I clenched my jaw as I looked at her with pity.

"How about I show you guys the tower. You'll be surprised how clean and nice it is", I changed the subject and smiled at them. My dad nodded in agreement and Abby trailed behind us.

"I have been so worried about you for the past couple of months. Everyone has", began my dad and I felt guilt spread through my body.

"I've missed you guys too. I just needed to get away... from everything and everybody", I replied, looking at him apologetically as we entered the tower and got inside the elevator. The doors closed and the wheel, turned by a couple of grounders, began turning, pulling us upwards.

"So tell me, what adventures have you been up to?", asked my dad, trying to brighten the mood.

"Nothing special. I'm Lexa's second, so it's been a hefty workload on daily basis.", I replied with a small smile. The atmosphere became awkward once again. "Clarke will be happy to see you guys", I continue, looking at Abby and my dad, then turning towards the door again.

"How is she?", asked Abby in a small voice.

"Good", I reply, not wanting to go into detail.

"Don't lie Audelia", urged Abby and I sighed audibly.

"Different. She's.... different. We all are", I gave in. "You have got to give her time. It hasn't been easy coming to terms with what we had to do".

"And we understand that, we just wished that you wouldn't have run away without telling us", countered my dad and I sighed internally.

"Yeah well, we knew you wouldn't have let us go", I said, and the doors of the elevator finally opened. I led them to a room where they could stay and wait for the summit, while I went to prepare with Clarke. We would have to bend the knee today, and it would be the first time other grounders saw me and Clarke, we had to look presentable.

"I'll get you guys when it's time", I said and left the room quickly before either one of them could protest.

I quickly walked to my room, entering and seeing my evening outfit already laid out on the bed. I guess one of the servants brought it over. Black dress, with white and black fur at the top, and a black cloak, with matching black and white fur around the neck and shoulders to keep me warm. There was a metal ring with a thin chain that served as a necklace, symbolizing the coalition, as well as a choker. I had gloves, since I did get chilly in the evening, and then a belt to which I could attach my sword and dagger.