Ghost of New Years past

Start from the beginning

"H-Hey KJ." Zayn nervously stated. It had been nearly two weeks since he last saw him. Well... ran out on him rather.

"Ahhh!!! You're welcome! Okay well, we'll leave you two to it. Come on." Gigi winked at him while linking her arm with Kendall's walking away.

Liam, who was across the dance floor, heard the squeal and gazed toward the direction it came from to see Zayn talking to his group of friends. He focused his attention back to the conversation happing next to him.

Before Zayn could say anything they were gone. "Hey Harry. Good to see you again mate." The red haired man spoke to his friend who fortunately was still standing next to him.

"What's up Archie. So... I'll catch you in a bit yeah?" Harry walked away just as fast as the two models did. So much for that. He thought.

"Aha you know I can never shake that role." He chuckled. "Happy Birthday Zayn."

"Thanks and uh- thank you for coming. I-I didn't think I'd see you again." Zayn said awkwardly shifting his weight. He swore KJ wouldn't want anything to do with him after New Years.

"Of course and yeah you did kinda just leave me hangin." He jokingly said back to the model.

"Sorry..." Zayn stated, lips moving to a frown.

"It's okay. I guess I've always wanted to have that noble Prince Charming moment." The New Zealander shrugged. "Now I don't have anything to return to you, but is it okay to ask why you left so suddenly." He asked while sitting on one of the lounge chairs.

Zayn followed suit. He wasn't sure what to tell him. It's not like it would matter anyways. After tonight everything would change. "Just uh... reasons I guess."

"You guess? That bad huh?" He said lifting his eyebrow.

"No. It wasn't bad... trust me. I uh really enjoyed it. I just- I don't know."

"Then what happened Zayn?" KJ said sympathetically putting his hand on top of Zayn's.

Looking down at the touch his heart clenched. Before he could answer back Niall came rushing up to him. "Hi hello sorry to interrupt but Zayn has important details to oversee real fast." The manager said while he quickly moved his hand from under the other.

"I'll uh be right back." Zayn softly told him which he barely understood over the clubs speakers. He was kind of thankful for the fact that Niall stepped in because How does one explain this situation? The red haired man just firmly nodded shifting in his seat.

After turning away from the group once again, Liam glanced toward Zayn seeing him with no other than Archie from Riverdale. Even though it wasn't a kids show, his nephew loved watching it when he would come over so he knew the character quite well.

The more he looked at them this feeling started growing within him. Liam wasn't a jealous type. He's never felt that way towards anyone, but here he stood watching the mans hand touch Zayns. When Niall walked up to the pair he shook his head then turned back to his conversation.

Niall quickly ushered him into a private employees only room. "First of all happy birthday Zayn! Second have you talked to Liam at all since you've been here? He asked the model.

"Thank you but no I just got here..." Zayn responded to his manager.

With a heavy sigh Niall put his hand on Zayns shoulder. "I understand that this isn't something you wanted. I'm really sorry about that, but I'm only trying to help make all of this craziness believable. You're only making it harder on yourself by not trying Zayn." He lightly rubbed his shoulder n a comforting manor.

"I'm sorry..." was all he said. Even though he desperately wanted to retort and come back at Niall, he felt bad because he knows he's just doing his job.

"It's okay. I know a lot more about situations like these than you think. If you ever need to talk about it I'm here... for now, just try and strike a little conversation with him." He hugged him and walked out of the room. He was always so to the point and fast about his delivery which Zayn admired. He wished he was more like that.

With a deep breath he exited the room. He turned to the lounge area expecting to see KJ still sitting there but he was gone. He scanned the crowd but didn't see him with how many people were in attendance. He did spot Liam however, so reluctantly he made his way to him even though he didn't want to.

Your birthday is something special to celebrate yet he couldn't help but start to think of this day as one of the worst days in his existence. His personal life was crumbling away while his public one was just being built.