Chapter 14: Extracurricular

Comincia dall'inizio

Cardin and I parry each other's weapons for a good second before Dove runs up and fires his sword. I block his sword's rounds and spin my javelin around my neck to shoot my rifle function to thrust it forward, then slash him as he's pushed back next to Cardin.

Cardin grunts and swings his mace up, recklessly hitting Dove in the face as he sends an explosion my way, which I backflip over in response. I parry his shield, then hit his gut up to send him up into the air as I jump up as well. I parry one more time before jumping off my shield and catching his neck around the stem of my javelin, spinning us around as he screams, then kick him down to the ground as he bounces onto his face and lays flat on his stomach with a groan.

I land back down with Miló in its sword form and Akoúo in my hand as the victor.

Glynda approaches from behind Cardin who clutches his ribs.

"And that's the match."

Cardin groans as he collapses.

"Lucky shot."

Glynda congratulates me, "Well done, Miss Nikos. You should have no problem qualifying for the tournament."

"Thank you Professor."

Glynda taps her Scroll.

"Alright, now I know that's a tough act to follow, but we have time for one more sparring match." Glynda looks around at the observing students. "Any volunteers? Ms. Belladonna?"

Blake slams her book shut and stares wide-eyed at Glynda.

"You've been rather docile for the past few classes. Why don't you-"

Mercury raises his hand.

"I'll do it."

"Mercury, is it? Very well, let's find you an opponent."

"Actually, I wanna fight... her."

I raise an eyebrow.

"Me?"

"I'm afraid Miss Nikos has just finished the match. I recommend you choose another partner."

I shake my head and smile.

"No it's fine! I'd be happy to oblige!"

Mercury walks to the locker room to prepare and I wait, then see something on my Scroll. It's from Y/N:

"I smell metal on Mercury's legs. Whatever you do, DO NOT use your Semblance. He and his friend seem like they want intelligence on your abilities. Don't give them the satisfaction."

Ruby P.O.V.

Mercury struts into the arena, visibly sizing up Pyrrha. Their spar begins when he makes the first attack and is knocked down. Recovering quickly, he deflects an attack and begins trading blows with Pyrrha until she knocks him back with her shield.

I turn toward Emerald sitting behind me.

"Hey your friend's doing pretty good."

Emerald smiles as I turn my back.

Mercury unleashes a series of powerful strikes. Pyrrha allows his kick to slam against her forearm before Mercury manages to disarm her, a kick impaling her blade into the ground. Pyrrha dodges and runs to her blade. As she charges him with her shield, he shoots off of it and turns his back to her. Pyrrha tries to rush him again, but he nonchalantly raises his hands.

"I forfeit."

Pyrrha almost stumbles as she stops beside him.

"You... don't even want to try?"