New job

Like a bad dream, it was all happening right before Amy's eyes. Before she could process the sudden change of events, she was on her way back.

If Angels came in human form, then, Magenta and Mark would be two of them. When they got home, Fernando, Leo, Jack, Lilly, the twins, and Marian were there to give her warm hugs and kisses to make her feel better.

That night, after dinner, the kids went to their rooms to get some sleep, but not Amy. How could she sleep knowing that she ruined her future with her own hands?

As soon as she heard footsteps coming from the corridor, she pretended to be asleep. The door opened and Maj whispered. "Amy, dear. I know you're not asleep"

Amy opened her eyes. Maj gestured for her to come along, and she obeyed. They walked out to the dining room where Maj started to make them a little midnight snack. When she was done, they both sat on the island to eat.

"Amy honey, I want you to know that this isn't the end of your life. Better days will come"

"I should have listened to you and stayed away from Thea. I made a mistake, and it has cost me so much"

"There was no way you could have known. Listen to me..." She placed her finger on Amy's chin. "You have so much potential, this is not the end. I am sure of it. You weren't expelled, there are other universities you can attend. What do you think?"

"I don't want to be a burden on you and Mark. I am gonna get a job and hopefully save for school."

"You are not a burden on us, not at all. Look for another University you'd like to attend, Mark and I will take care of it."

Amy got up on her feet and embraced Maj. "How can I ever repay you? Not even my real mom would've done what you are doing for me"

Maj held her close as she cried on her shoulder. "Oh, baby, you don't know that for sure". They broke their hug. "Come on, eat"

They stayed for extra 30 minutes before going to bed.

****

The next day,

Amy walked into a coffee shop called Gerald's. She wore a simple floral gown with boots and a denim jacket, her hair was tied up in a ponytail. The bags under her eyes did not deter her beauty, but thanks to Maj, they weren't noticeable to the man who interviewed her. Mr. Gerald Taylor was an average-height man in his forties, with a bald head and roman nose. He gave her the job and she began work that same day. It was her first time having a job. It felt... different, but she knew she would get used to it.

Days went by so slowly that even a tortoise would laugh at the sluggishness of the calendar. Governorship election campaigns began. Surely, one of the candidates was Derek Wilson, Hunter and Adam's dad. His photos were plastered all over the neighborhood, even Mark had his campaign pamphlets in his car which he handed out to anyone he could find.

One day at the coffee shop, a group of college kids walked in and sat down at the left extreme of the shop.

"Go take their order, don't just stand there!" Yelled Gerald to Amy who already had her hand full with another customer's order. She quickly handed the customer their coffee and went to the college students in the corner.

"Welcome to Gerald's, what can I get you?" She forced out a smile and asked politely.

The three girls and one guy looked up at her. The guy started: "I wanna try some black coffee today, these bitches say I can't-"

"Oh shut up, Bob! We all know you can't stand black coffee" The blonde girl sitting next to him laughed.

"Wait, I know you" The second girl pointed a finger at Amy. "Guys, she's that girl in the photo with Reuben" The others stared at Amy with surprise written on their faces. The girl continued; "Sorry about what happened to you"

"Thank you, it's in the past now" After taking their orders, Amy walked away and returned with their drinks.

The second girl took out her iPhone. "You're lucky to have such a loving boyfriend"

Amy stood frozen and lost for words. "My. Boyfriend?"

"Yeah, he's rallying everyone to speak against your removal from ZU. You didn't know?"

Is this some kind of joke? Amy wondered. She has never had a boyfriend in her entire life, but apparently, 'he' is fighting for her return.

With the girl's help, she went on the website and saw a video of Hunter. He accused ZU of forcing Amy to give up her studentship just to cover their tracks. He also claimed that a similar incident took place 5 years ago with another ex-student named Mary James. A petition to bring her back to ZU has been created, and so far, over a hundred thousand people have signed.

All these brought tears to her eyes... She never knew Hunter would go to such an extent, putting himself on the line for her sake. Who would've thought?