A new family

Saturday, the 20th of July, 2019

"Amy-Claire, we know you have been through a lot, I cannot imagine what it must have felt like being in that place. Thankfully, you don't need to be in the hospital any longer, you are perfectly healthy now. That is why it has been decided that you will be put in foster care, you will have a real family and you can learn from the other children, plus you get to go to school... isn't that exciting?".

Amy-Claire stared unblinkingly at her psychologist and social worker, Miss Kayla whom she had grown fond of over the past few months. Amy was soft-spoken and kind, this made her everyone's favorite in no time. But due to her isolation from people, communication was her weak point. Though she understands every word, it still took a little more time for her brain to process the longer sentences. Miss Kayla understood this and had been very patient with her.

Her only response was a slow nod which Miss Kayla took as a yes.

***

The next day,

Amy had just been called to Mrs. Kayla's office to meet her foster parents. It is a known fact that most adoptive parents don't want a teenager, much less one as old as she was. Finding her a new home was a real challenge, so she doesn't have much of a choice.

She walked lazily to the door of Mrs. Kayla's office and pushed it open. "I'm here, Ma'am".

Mrs. Kayla beamed when she saw her. "Come on in, AmyClaire. Meet Mark and Magenta Robinson, they own a foster home with seven kids. They will take very good care of you, dear, I guarantee it"...

AmyClaire turned to her right, where a nice-looking couple was seated, smiling and waving at her. She smiled back, not sure what else to do.
It dawned on her that this was going to be her life from here on out, and the best thing to do is to go with the flow.

***

After a thirty minutes drive in Mark's old truck, she arrived with her new parents at their house —not too big not too small, and not classy at all. They led her inside where seven kids were already lined up awaiting the arrival of their new sister.

"Kids, this is AmyClaire, the newest addition to our wonderful family." Said Magenta with all joy. "Now, Introduce yourselves".

"Hi, I'm Fernando, I'm sixteen years old". Said the oldest and tallest among them. He has dark hair, a cute smile, and wore glasses. He stretched out his hand which AmyClaire accepted in a firm handshake.

"I'm Leo, fifteen".  The second kid introduced himself and shook her hand. He wore dreadlocks that stop right above his shoulders.

"Jack, thirteen, welcome to the family." A shorter boy did the same as the previous boys. "Do you like video games-?"

"Jack, not now" Warned Magenta.

"We're Tammy and Trisha." A cute set of identical twins said at the same time. They stepped forward and gave her a nice, warm hug.

"Lily, ten"... A blonde girl said without sparing AmyClaire a single look. Her eyes were glued to her phone screen.

"Lily, put that down". Magenta whispered, and the girl paid heed but only for a short time.

"Hi! I'm Marian, I'm seven years old and I think you're pretty". A sweet little girl stepped out and hugged Amy-Claire tightly. This earned an 'awwww' from everyone except Lily who had gone back to burying her face in her phone.

"Welcome to your new home Amy-Claire, is it okay if we call you Amy?". Asked Magenta. Amy nodded.

***

After she got settled into her new room which she shared with Lily, she came down for dinner.

They all sat around the table having their meal quietly when Magenta began speaking. "Amy honey, Mrs. Kayla talked with the principal of Ziegville high school. She said it could be possible to enroll you in the final year. But you need private tutoring to catch up on the basics. It's almost summer vacation, which means you have until resumption to learn the basic things you have missed over the years...you need to be ready, okay?"

"Yes", she replied.

"Don't worry AC, we'll teach ya..." Leo chipped in.

"Don't call her that, Leo"... said Tammy.

"Shhhh... stop talking kids".. Mark finally said, putting an end to the murmurs around the table.

And the summer vacation went on with Amy learning the important things about Highschool life, cute boys, prom dates, and all things fun.