Prom night

Wednesday, the 1st of July, 2020

Amy was lying on her bed, watching videos on her tab when Magenta walked in.

"Honey, what dress have you chosen for your prom?".

She rolled onto her side and sat up. "Do I have to go, mom?".

Maj sat down beside her. "Yes baby". She collected the tab Amy had in her hands, then opened the pictures of the dresses Amy had to choose from.
One was a short red dress, with golden yellow patterns on its front. The other was Amy's favourite colour, green, a long gown with a V-neck and a gorgeous silver design on the front. The third one is a simpler half-length, fitted, black gown. All with matching shoes. She and Mark were willing to put in as much as they could afford, she was worth it all.

Amy groaned and covered her face with her two hands, anxiety creeping up her spine.

"You'll be fine, honey. Don't worry". Magenta giggled and gave her a half hug.

Just then, Amy's phone vibrated. An unknown number flashed on her screen.

She picked up. "AmyClaire speaking".

"Nope, it's Amaire". The person from the other end said, laughing.

"Adam, Finally! Why couldn't I get through to your number?"

"I don't know, honestly... So, I heard you're having a bit of a dilemma with the dresses, non?"

She glared playfully at Maj, knowing she must have been the one who told Adam about her predicament. Maj smiled awkwardly while mouthing 'sorry' ...

"Yeah Adam, you heard right. I have three dress options and I have no idea which to choose from. Plus I don't get the whole point of prom. Why do I have to go?".

"Oh come on Amaire, you're gonna rock!. Remember, this is gonna be your last prom before you graduate, you're never gonna get this chance again. So, you might as well go with a big bang. You know, leave your footprint in the sands of prom times". He chuckled.

"Does it matter?". Amy asked, still trying to avoid the awkwardness she feels at social gatherings.

"Yep! Amaire. Now, guess what?".

"You know I'm a bad guesser, Adam".

"I'm gonna help you PICK A DRESS!". He suddenly jumped into her room from the hallway, surprising her.

"Adam!! You scared me. I thought you weren't allowed to apply for leave from your workplace?" She hugged him.

"I am the Adam Wilson, remember?". He snapped his fingers like a typical teenage girl. "The other interns will cover for me, have no fear".

"Excuse me, kids, I'll go downstairs". Said Maj, before leaving the room.

"Thanks so much, Mrs R". He greeted a retreating Maj, before focusing back on Amy. "Now, Uhm, I've been meaning to ask this...I, I know it ain't normal, but can I be your prom date?".

Her face lit up... "That would be great! Is it allowed though? "

"Yeah, sure".