CHAPTER 40 - WINTER CUP WINNER

WORDS BETWEEN - - MEANS THOUGHTS
WORDS IN BOLD MEANS ENGLISH

POV - (L/N) (F/N)

Taiga was at his limit and I could tell everyone else was in similar conditions meanwhile Rakuzan looked like they just went for a walk along the beach. 

"COME ON, SEIRIN! DON'T GIVE UP! COME ON, KUROKO!" I smiled as I looked at Ogiwara-kun. -Perfect timing.- 

I watched as Tetsuya looked up at his childhood friend with a smile and tears running down his face.

"HEY, TETSU! KAGAMI! YOU BEAT US, DIDN'T YOU!? BEAR RAKUZAN OR I'M BEATING YOU UP!" I looked over to see Daiki standing and yelling as well. 

"DON'T FORGET ABOUT US! YOU BEAT US TOO! NOW BEAT RAKUZAN!" I smiled as I saw Ryouta.

"BEAT THEM! BEAT AKASHI! AND RAKUZAN!" I opened my eyes wide. -Shintaro!?- 

I looked around for Atsushi to see if he would join in but I saw he was looking the other way shyly. 

I giggled before standing up myself. 

"OI, TETSUYA! YOU BETTER KEEP YOUR PROMISE TO ME, YOU HEAR ME!? YOU BEAT ALL THE OTHER GOMS AND NOW YOU HAVE ONE MORE TO BEAT! DON'T GIVE UP YET!" I yelled.

I turned to Taiga and shouted at him in english. 

"AND YOU, TAIGA! YOU ALSO BETTER KEEP YOUR PROMISE! I'LL BRING HELL INTO YOUR LIFE IF YOU DON'T! DON'T THINK I DIDN'T HEAR YOU PROMISE MY DAD THAT YOU WILL BEAT THE GOMS FOR HIM! HE WOULD BEAT YOUR ASS IF YOU DIDN'T!"

Everyone in the stadium was surprised to see me. I've been using Tetsuya's low presence to watch the games in peace but now I guess I can't just hide all the time, right? 

"OMG! IT'S THE GOMS LEGENDARY COACH, (L/N) (F/N)!" "SHE'S SO FINE IN PERSON!" "STEP ON ME!" "MOMMY!?" Everyone yelled.

I smiled and sat back down. Everyone in the crowd also started to cheer for Seirin. There were 2 more minutes left with a gap of 7. 

If Seirin were to let another basket in, they would be doomed. Just as Hayama-senpai was about to dunk, Taiga came in and blocked it.

I saw there was a different change in the air, again. But this time, it was on Seirin's side. "No... Way..." I muttered.

I didn't realise it yet but tears slowly streamed down my face. 

By making the slightest eye contact, it was enough for all of them to sync up, creating a direct drive zone.

Taiga was able to weave right through Rakuzan's player with the help of Kiyoshi-senpai. 

Both sides were not giving any signs that they were giving up, not yet. 

Not until they win. Sadly, Rakuzan was able to score a basket, making the score 105-98. 

-You can do this, Seirin.- I thought in anticipation. 

As everyone starts to get pumped, speed can become your worst enemy. 

Izuki-senpai who took advantage of everyone's high pace movement took time to calm down and spot a blind spot where he could pop in and steal the ball. -Good thinking.-

With Izuki-senpai's steal, Hyuga-senpai was able to score a 3 pointer with an added 1 free throw since Mibuchi-senpai acting on his own instincts and fouling. 

Hyuga-senpai missed the free throw and luckily Kiyoshi-senpai was able to grab onto the ball. With only 1 second left, I couldn't help but stand up.

Kiyoshi-senpai passed the ball to Kuroko who went into stance of Phantom Shot but Seijuro jumped right in front of him. 

As Kuroko released the ball, Taiga came running and jumping right from the free throw line and slammed the ball right into the hoop. It went silent for a moment.

I whipped my head towards the scoreboard. 106-105. 

"TIME'S UP! AFTER A FIERCE BATTLE, THE TEAM WHO BEAT THE TEAM WHO DOMINATED THE WINTER CUP SINCE THE START, THE TEAM THAT WAS FORMED LAST YEAR, SEIRIN HIGH SCHOOL! THE WINTER CUP CHAMPIONS!" 

I watched as Seirin started to yell and run to each other.

I sat in my seat with tears streaming down my face. I picked up my phone and called mom and dad right away. 

"Hello? (F/N)?" Mom answered. "TAIGA AND HIS TEAM WON THE WINTER CUP!" I yelled.

I heard mom shout it to dad and then I heard them yelling over the phone. "AHHHHH! TELL HIM WE SAID CONGRATULATIONS!" They yelled.

We started to facetime and I showed them the award ceremony. 

"I'll hang up now. I have a few things to do before heading home." I told them. "Alright, sweetie. Just know that we already said yes." They said.

"Huh? What do you mean by that?" I questioned. "Oops. Seems like we said too much." I was confused.

As I was about to ask again, they ended the call. I stared at my phone and then shrugged. -Now, on my way to Rakuzan's locker room.- 

What I didn't realise was when I was not looking at the court, Taiga, Tetsuya, Alex, and Tatsuya were gathering their teams and telling everyone Taiga's plans.

When I found Rakuzan's locker room, I knocked on the door. Coach Shirogane opened and when he saw me, he smiled. 

"You can enter. I think a few words from the legendary coach would boost them up." I giggled before entering. The boys looked up right at me with a solemn look.

"I just want to start with you all did extremely well today. It's only normal to lose so don't beat yourself up because of it. You all fought well until the end which is what I like to see as a coach. Since you used a lot of energy, please get a good night's rest, drink plenty of water, and eat a good healthy meal." I told them.

The boys all smiled at me. "Thank you, (F/N)/(F/N)-chan/(F/N)-senpai!" They thanked me. I turned to Seijuro. 

"Coach, if you want to talk to me one on one, I'd rather stay here and let my teammates hear." I nodded. "Alright."

When we walked out, I stared at the maroon coloured hair male before I smiled.

"Welcome back, Seijuro." I greeted him. "It's good to be back." He smiled at me. 

"You did really well today. I'm happy to see that my hard work in coaching you back in Teiko paid off, even if it led you down a path I didn't like." I told him.

"I know and I want to apologise for everything that went down back in Teiko." The boy in front of me said.

I smiled and ruffled Sejiro's head. "It's in the past now, so let's leave it in the past." I smiled. I turned to Coach Shirogane. 

"Well, I thank you for letting me meet your team for a little, Coach." I thanked him.

"It's my pleasure. Thank you for coming." He smiled at me.

"Oh, is it alright if you text me about Coach Shirogane Kozo if you don't mind?" I asked

The older man smiled at me. "I don't mind. Kozo would love to meet you and the GOMs again, I know it." After some exchanging, I left the locker room. 

When I walked out, I was met with Alex. I smiled at her and hugged her. "All our hard work paid off, huh, Alex?" I asked. "Of course." She hugged me back.

"Well, I have a surprise for you but you will need to wear this blindfold." I stared at the black blindfold in Alex's hands. 

"Uh, ok? Can we do this fast though? I want to go see Taiga and Seirin." I said.

"Yea, yea. Don't worry." I wore the blindfold and Alex guided me to where my surprise was. I started to get nervous. -Is it something bad?-