CHAPTER 27 - 4TH QUARTER

WORDS BETWEEN - - MEANS THOUGHTS
WORDS IN BOLD MEANS ENGLISH

POV - KAGAMI TAIGA

Once the 3rd quarter ended, we went off the court to the benches to get some water and wipe off some of our sweat. 

I looked over to Tatsuya's team to see Murasakibara get hit by his coach by a wooden sword. 

After that they started their quick talk and we started ours too. We were talking about our current plays.

"About that, Coach, if our plan doesn't work and they get through, can we make it a 2-3 zone with me in the middle." I said.

Everyone looked at me in shock. "The same formation as Yosen!?" Everyone yelled. 

"I'll cover the entire 2-point area just like Murasakibara." I said.

-And (F/N).- Back in America, when she was playing, I saw she was doing the same like Murasakibara. I wanted to try it out too. 

"But someone has to take care of Himuro while I'll stop anyone who comes inside for Kiyoshi-senpai." In the end, Coach let us do it alongside the S.A.M. defence.

That was when the captain pointed out that Kiyoshi-senpai had tears in his eyes. They both started to yell at each other. 

Before entering the court again, Kuroko asked if we could go in a circle again so we did. "LET'S GO SEIRIN... FIGHT!" "YEAH!" We shouted.

As we went out, I looked at the crowd to see (F/N).

We then made eye contact. She smiled at me which I returned. I didn't hear what the others were saying though. 

"Oh my gosh. Did he just smile!?" "Did the sun rise from the west today!?" The team yelled.

As we continued onto the court, I met up with Tatsuya. "Like it or not, it's going to be our last 10 minutes. I'm not gonna go easy on you!" I yelled.

He looked right at me. "Of course! Let's settle this!" He shouted back. When the game started, everyone was surprised about our defence mode. 

Yosen's number 5 passed the ball to Murasakibara to perform an alley oop but I jumped along with the purple haired male. "MURASAKIBARA!" I felt good about it.

Though, I wasn't able to get to smack the ball away from his hands and instead got pushed to the ground. 

"Kagami-kun!" The team called out to me. 

Murasakibara looked down at me but I was determined to get back at him. When Kuroko had the ball, he Phantom Shot it in the basket.

Yosen passed the ball to Tatsuya and started to run which got me confused but then I saw Tatsuya come at me with the ball. It was now a 1 vs. 1 between us. 

But he pulled a fake on me. -Is this for real? His faking is there but did it get faster?- 

As Tatsuya moved closer to the net, I heard Murasakibara yell at him to stop. -Crap.- It was to stop Kuroko from getting the ball.

It was back to the 2-3 zone with me in the middle. That was when I saw Tatsuya aurora get dark. -If only I can enter the zone right now. 

Just like how the GOMs could though (F/N) can go in whenever she wants. 

There's still a chance at victory.- I watched as number 5 called for a pass from Tatsuya and got the captain to look away from Tatsuya.

He took the opportunity to get past him so I moved to Tatsuya. "KAGAMI!" "HIMURO!" Our teammates called for us.

Tatsuya jumped but I stayed for a few seconds because I knew the trick behind his Mirage Shots. 

"I know you know the trick." He started. I was confused by what he meant. That was when he released the ball on the first release.

"Do you think it was a trick shot? I can shoot either way depending on the opponent's jumping time. It doesn't matter though because Mirage Shot can't be touched." Tatsuya continued.

The gap was getting wider. -It's no use. At this rate... Shit... How do I get into the zone?- Kuroko had the ball and shot it but it missed and Yosen did a counter-attack.

Murasakibara and Tatsuya performed an alley oop and I wasn't able to stop it. 

"THE POINT GAP IS WIDENING!" "WE CAN'T BLAME THEN, SEIRIN'S TRYING HARD!" "NO ONE CAN STOP THOSE 2!" The crowd yelled.

I looked down. -Shit... What do we do? The only way is the zone. I don't get it, how hard is it to concentrate? Before when I did, how did I play? What did I think?-

I looked at (F/N). -What would (F/N) do? How would (F/N) go into the zone?- She just gave me an encouraging nod. 

The team was talking but I didn't pay attention. When we started to play again, as I was about to dunk the ball, Murasakibara smacked the ball away and out of bounds.

"Out of bounds! Seirin's ball!" I walked to get the ball. "Shit." Someone then took the ball which made me look at them. It was Kise. 

"What's up with this sad state?" He asked. "Kise." I called out.

It seems like the others were surprised to see him too. "Huh? I thought you were someone I knew, sorry." I was confused.

"Huh!? What are you talking..." I was cut off.

"I don't know you, a lame person playing basketball clinging to something." He then passed the ball while talking to Murasakibara. I was pissed. 

He then walked off, not before talking a little more to me. "Somehow, if this is to be, a certain someone I played against in the practice match was far scarier." Kise said.

"Wha..." I then heard him mutter. "And he was taught by my coach before me." He said.

-Shit, what is he talking about? Clinging? When though? After the practice match and losing the Interhigh Prelims, I practised like mad. 

It's impossible to get weaker by getting stronger. Back then, I fought recklessly and had less physical abilities and skills than now. That's what you expect and yet somehow...-

That was when it hit me. "Kagami-kun." I turned to Kuroko. "Hey, have you ever gotten in the zone?" I asked.

"Zone? Not that I know of. Probably not. But if it were that easy then no one would suffer." I smiled. 

"True." I said. -That's right, it's normal to not go into the zone. It's getting into it that is rare. I was clinging to 'Me who got into the zone'.-

I smacked myself. "Am I an idiot? It's like hoping to win the lottery." I muttered.

My team looked at me like I was crazy. -(F/N) probably worked really hard to get to what she is today with her zone and skills.- 

"No matter how hard it gets, I can do everything that I can now!" I yelled. -I may not be like (F/N) or the GOMs, but I am me, Kagami Taiga!-