Chapter 94: "Ripped Apart!"

Give me some reactions as you read! 🥺

Salma grabbed her professor's hand, giving it a squeeze.

"I'm so sorry, Professor," Salma whispered, her tears falling freely down her face. "I'm sorry for your loss."

The frail professor continued to grasp at his life that kept ebbing away; fighting for every breath and every heartbeat. Salma watched his unconscious and pale face, connected to several tubes and pipes through his mouth and nose. His surgeries were successful, and nine pieces of shrapnel were removed from his lungs, liver and left kidney. However, he was still critical.

"Please, come back to us," Salma continued. She raised his hand to her lips, brushing a kiss to his knuckles.

The door behind her burst open, startling her. Salma jumped from her seat, dropping R.K's hand, and covered her face.

"What in the world?!" a younger version of R.K gave a cry of surprise and confusion just as Salma turned around to face him.

The tall and lean Ken Krest bore a very strong resemblance to his father; he had the same light brown hair, same eyes and same nose. The only difference was that Ken was taller, had fuller lips and his face was slightly narrower.

"I'm sorry! I didn't know you were here," Salma stuttered. "Sorry. You - you must be Ken."

"That be me. Who are you?" Ken said, still looking confused. He had now started eyeing her 'costume and mask'.

Salma noticed a cup of coffee in his hands, and figured he had left to grab a drink. He looked worn out and tired. His raw eyes were a tell-tale sign of distress, and having cried much over the loss of his sister, and his father's grave condition.

"I'm Salma Rahman," Salma quickly explained. "Sir's student -- Professor R.K is my . . ."

"Professor?" Ken provided. "He's your professor."

"Yes, right," Salma said awkwardly.

Ken's gaze zeroed on her tear-stained niqab and the moisture around her eyes. He was probably a little confused, but then he stilled, as something occurred to him.

"Are you the bee searcher?" he asked.

Salma blinked. I'm a what?

"What's the name --"

"Salma," she deadpanned.

"Yes, Salma. The Muslim gal," he continued. "Dresses like batman, but better? One of the two ninjas?

"Sorry, what?!" Salma cried.

"My apologies," Ken said with a sigh, rubbing his exhausted eyes and face with his free hand. "I mean no offense. I've heard so much about you, it's like I know you."

Salma just eyed him incredulously. That's what you've heard about me?

Ken dropped his hand, staring at his father's still figure behind her.

"He's really fond you, you know," he said, sounding miserable. The awkwardness of Ken's sudden arrival was quickly replaced by the sadness and depression that hung heavily around them in the air once more. Salma felt her heart ache. "He talks about you a lot. 'My student Salma, you know the Muslim girl,' is how he usually starts before he tells another tale about your flawless academic record."

Salma smiled ruefully, looking over her shoulder, only to have Professor R.K fade from her vision as her eyes welled up once more.

"And Lou!" Ken laughed. Salma turned back to him to see him tearing up. "God, she would not stop talking about you and this other girl. She called you second of the two super ninjas. The other one - you probably knew her. The kick-boxing Coach who also dresses -"