Chapter 77: "Three Party Kidnapping"

Post your reactions as you read!

First draft: June 3, 2018

Alex yanked the brute's gun-hand skywards. The misfired bullet hit the low roof, splitting off pieces of concrete.  Her elbow dug deep into the Chris's ribs, hoping to snap a bone of two. Howling like dog, he bent double in pain, giving her the chance to snatch his gun. She aimed a good blow at his oversized empty head. The blunt end of the gun smashed across the back of his head. Chris groaned in pain, piling at her feet like a smelly sack of shit.

Alex kicked him over, and stepped on his chest. The long heel of her shoe resting right over his heart. The man was still blinking, but his eyes were going every which way in his sockets. He was probably trying to clear his vision after getting his lights knocked out with that hit.

"Resist me anymore, and I'll push the heel of my shoe right through you shitty heart!" Alex threatened, pointing the gun at his face.

Just then, a white car sped towards them. Alex only managed to throw a quick glance at Salma's crumpled figure. She let out a breath, pushing her hair out of her face when two men jumped out of the car. They froze in their tracks at the scene before them.

"Agent Wickfield?!"

"Take him away," she ordered, stepping away from the Chris.

She finally turned her attention to Salma who was lying motionless on the ground.

"But I though you said we were not to engage, boss?" One of the agents inquired while the pulled out the cuffs, eyeing the knocked out thug in shock.

Alex ignored him, turning Salma around. She was relieved to see the bullet had missed her. Salma was paralyzed with fear, but was otherwise fine.

"Are you alright?" she asked Salma, shaking her slightly. Salma did not get the chance to respond.

"Boss?!"

Alex pursed her lips, tapping her fingers on Salma's upper arm for a second.

"Get the man to interrogation room, we need to find –"

"No we don't!" the agent raised his voice. "You just wasted months and months of us working our asses off, trying to follow from a distance! He was our lead! What in the world were you thinking?!"

"There was a third party involvement!" Alex snapped. "I couldn't risk it!"

"Third party involvement, my ass!" her subordinate returned angrily. "That was just one hobo probably trying to find a warmer corner in the lot. You couldn't think of better excuse?!"

Alex's expression turned grim, her grip on Salma's shoulder tightened without her realizing it. Her nostril flared as she dropped her vice like grip around Salma and rose to her full height. She turned around to face the angry agent.

"I think you are in no bloody position to question me, Ben!" She snarled. "Where the hell do you think the hobo disappeared off to now?!"

The two glared at each other. Ben was still boiling mad but he did not want to challenge his superior into firing him.

"You better have a very good reason for throwing our only lead away for her," he ended up saying bitterly. Eyeing Salma with contempt, he made his displeasure with her known.

A nearby car beeped as Alex unlocked it.

"Sam, get the girl into my car!" she ordered sharply, without removing her glare from Ben.

Sam obliged. Salma felt a rough hand grasping her arm tightly and pushing her off to her feet. The manner in which he dragged her up, Salma knew this guy was just as unimpressed by Alex jumping in to rescue her before Chris could take her life, as the other one, though he was not being very vocal about it. They had barley taken a step when the air around them exploded with multiple gun shots. Alex and Sam dived for cover behind the cars. Salma was slammed back on the floor in a shocked and trembling heap.