Chapter 13: "The First Hits"

Comment your reactions as you read 🤗

13 April, 2019 (rough idea)

Written on 29 October, 2019

Her heart sank. He should never have been here, she realized. Of all the people locked by the cross-wires tonight, Zayn was the only outsider. He had nothing to do with the family feud or Sthooriya’s bloody politics.

“I believe on their part," Burak Kaka said, "it was just a precaution to ensure --"

“Why did dad choose him?” Salma cut in sharply, jerking her head towards Zayn.

Zayn, who had been sitting with his arms folded, gave her a hard, incredulous stare. It was clear that he could not believe she kept rubbing her displeasure of him being there into his face.

“Well, you heard your father. He was the best --“

“Dad could have gone with Sarah!” Salma interrupted the Green Coat again. “Agha Gul doesn’t know her either, and she’s strong and very good at protecting me.”

Zayn clenched his jaws, trying to bite down the urge to snap at her. The agent sucked in a deep breath, refilling his cup.

“Would you rather your friend gets in danger?” he asked.

“I beg your pardon?” Salma narrowed her eyes. “Are you implying Zayn is expendable?”

Zayn’s eyes snapped at her, her reply catching him off guard. Burak too, cocked a brow, not expecting her to react like that.

“Every time y’all think I’m in danger, you think he’s the guy to use as a shield?” Salma continued. “Do you realize he has a family? Friends? People that care --“

“Bee, I really don’t mind --“

“Quiet!” Salma snapped sharply, startling them both. “Have you ever thought of Niall before jumping in onto your heroics? Does Claire mean nothing to you? What do you think would happen to your grandpa if you get caught in the cross-fire?!”

Zayn blinked, at a loss for words. He wasn’t sure what to make of her sudden outburst and concern for his life and safety.

“Why does it always have to be him?!” Salma turned to Burak again. “He’s an outsider that shouldn’t be involved in --”

“Many apologies for the intrusion, Miss Rahman,” Zayn said in a restrained tone, having had enough. “Let me know when you find an insider to replace me. I’ll be more than happy show myself out!”

Kicking his chair down, he stormed out of the room, away from her, a second time that night. Zayn had trouble digesting the fact that even at a time like this, her only problem was the fact that he was the one helping her out. It was almost as if he being nice to her or helping her got in the way of her hating him freely, and she did not wanted her distasteful feelings for him tainted, or otherwise confused.

The Green Coat looked around awkwardly, having witnessed yet another spat between the hot-headed couple within the time frame of a few hours.

“I need air,” Salma muttered, following after Zayn.

“Don’t stray too far,” Burak called after her.