Chapter 37: "The Fleeing Demons"

Y'all missed another chance at an early update but I applaud you👏😁. This attempt at a goal was definitely better than before 😅.

Anyway, post your reactions as you read🤗

First draft: May 25, 2021

For the next two days, Salma did exactly as Spogmae had advised. She rested and de-stressed. She left her phone powered off and took days off from the University – which her mother found to be a pleasant relief. Quite frankly, Salma suspected her mother entertaining the idea of giving her drugs to make her lethargic and stay at home and under her watchful eye, forever.

"No coffee-ritual today?" Sarah had asked the first day.

Salma looked up to see Sarah getting ready to leave.

"No," Salma replied, snuggling into her pillow. "Let him know I said salams and that I'll contact him when I find the energy to do so."

"Alright, but if he sends Niall to deliver the coffee at your home, or something, it's not on me," Sarah said staring at her reflection in the mirror as she fixed a pin in her scarf.

"Fine, I'll text him myself then." Salma reached for her phone on the table.

"I was kidding." Sarah slapped her hand away from the phone. "Seriously, you and the Irish look out for each other more than you and Zayn."

"You just made it sound so, so wrong." Salma closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose.

Sarah shrugged.

"I suppose you're right. Dude took a shot for you. No one's upping Zayn for a while," she kept blabbering.

"Just be quiet man," Salma said, sounding exhausted. "And the shot he took was for you."

"Which reminds me, what happened at the Green Coats party the other day?" Sarah continued.

Salma shrugged.

"Nothing much," she said casually. "There was some sort of a discussion going on about security protocols and then they kicked me out."

"That's it?" Sarah frowned. "Looked more serious to me."

"They're nutheads, anyway."

Salma figured she better start clutching some secrets to her heart. A lot of her harmless contacts were now being hounded by Toryal. Giving them too much sensitive information could make them useful targets for Toryal and co.

"Agreed. I got to go now! Happy lazy day," Sarah said, collecting her bag and phone.

"Wait!" Salma sat up to stop her as she was about to leave. "I forgot to ask, what time do you finish today?"

"Don't worry about that. I'm staying in my dorm tonight."

"Sarah, I don't think --"

"I need to ease back into my normal life, Salma," Sarah replied. "Can't let paranoia take control."

Salma still worried.

"I'll be fine," Sarah reassured with the roll of her eyes. "If I can't sleep or something else bothers me, I'll be back on the mattress in your room, I promise."

Salma nodded. Sarah could not sleep on the floor in her room forever. She had her own life to live. Also, since Salma now knew Toryal was out of town, rotting up somewhere in Seattle, she felt mildly better about Sarah going back to her dorm.

"Just be safe," she said.

"Will do." Sarah waved at her before closing the door. "Snore loud!" she shouted from the other side.