Chapter 70: "Cliff-hanged"

Post your reactions as you read, Losties! 😇

Salma felt goosebumps raising on her skin with every small circle Zayn's thumbs brushed on her hands. She responded by tightening her fingers around his hands as she walked backwards, leading him to the intended spot on the rocky turf.

"A little to the left." Sarah nudged her shoulder.

Salma corrected her course and threw a glance over her shoulder. The Coach waved at them. Nodding at the Coach and his crew, Salma turned her attention back on Zayn.

"Almost there," she told him excitedly, steering him away from a slippery carved edge of the rocky terrain they were trekking on. His heavy rubber shoes barely made any sound as he followed her blindly.

"With how the wind is blowing, and the kind of ground under my shoes, I'm quite certain you're about to lead me to some cliff and push me off," Zayn guessed.

"You got that right!" Sarah cackled.

Salma's shoulders shook with a suppressed laughter. Poor Zayn has been forced to wear a blindfold the moment Salma picked him up after her class. He was clueless about the location, or the activity he was supposed to partake in with his date. His only instructions had been to grab a jacket and wear trekking shoes.

"You'll be alright." Salma reassured him with a squeeze of her hands.

"Not really, but whatever!" Sarah interrupted.

"Sarah!"

"I'm starting to regret agreeing to this." Zayn huffed.

"Pfft! Grow a pair!" Sarah snorted. "She followed you into the heart of the forest in the dead of the night! And your track record is less than doubtful!"

Had Salma's hands not been in Zayn's, she would have facepalmed.

"And you brought her along!" Zayn continued, turning to where Sarah was. Oh yes, he also had no clue that Sarah would be joining in. "I don't see why we needed a deadly virus accompany us on a date!"

"Dude, keep talking!" Sarah warned.

"Stop it!" Salma intervened.

"Whatever," Sarah scoffed, walking ahead of them.

Salma heard Zayn snicker.

"Is she gone?" He smirked.

"No she isn't!" Sarah called from her spot.

Zayn sighed bitterly.

"Bummer!"

Salma giggled.

After the scare of her unnecessary, foolish slip the other day, Salma felt unusually happy for the date. She was glad things were still okay between her and Zayn and that their nikkah was valid. She had panicked fearing that she had messed it all up unintentionally but fortunately, her father had managed to keep a calm head despite getting very worried for this sudden problem he could have done without.

"Zayn, can you recall the exact words she had said to you?" he had asked Zayn - who had insisted on coming with Salma to meet her father.

"She said I might have divorced her by signing the paper," Zayn replied, "but she didn't mean it, obviously! Mr. Rahman, it was joke --"

"Even so," Mr. Rahman intervened. "So the words used were 'might have?'"

"Yes," Zayn confirmed.

"And that made you think she intended to terminate the nikkah?"