Chapter 43: "Red Herring"

Post your reactions as you read, pretty please!

First draft: April 22, 2021

Crying hysterically, Louisa sat balled up on the hospital seats lining the waiting area. Sarah rubbed the younger girl's back, looking a little lost. Consoling someone was never her forte. Salma got up to get water for Louisa, thinking she could do with a drink once the tears were all out.

"Hey."

Salma turned around to see Charlayne filling a water bottle from the nearby water dispenser. She gave Salma a tired smile.

"Hi." Salma nodded, caping her own bottle. "How're you?"

"Good." Charlayne replied. "How are things at your end? I heard Louisa found out she's the target."

Salma was a little shocked to know it was now common knowledge.

"I and Claire were around when the agent visited," she explained, noting Salma's questioning lack of response.

"I see," Salma replied. It made sense. What did not make sense was why Alex was stupid enough to announce it as if it was someone's engagement. Shouldn't information like this be treated with care? How was every one listening in and she did not bother?

"How's she holding up?"

"Not well." Salma sighed. "She'll be alright though. She's a tough one. How's Lena?"

"Same old," Charlayne replied. "The operation was successful -- oh, I almost forgot, Lena has requested to talk to you."

Surprised, Salma eyed her skeptically. Lena's dislike for Salma was no secret. Just before she got shot, she had tried to hit Salma. For her to ask to see her did not make any sense.

"Why?" she asked, confused by the request.

"She said she wanted to tell you something important about Zayn," Charlayne replied.

Salma's stomach clenched. She looked to Sarah sitting beside Louisa. With the junior around, she could not ask what Sarah thought of Lena's request, especially when Salma had not had the chance to explain the pre-shooting spat with Lena to her.

"I'll be there," Salma replied with a sigh.

Charlayne gave her a tight smile and patted her arm.

"Take care," she said.

Nodding at her, Salma turned to leave. She saw Louisa wipe away her tears. Her eyes were red and swollen.

Poor child, Salma thought as she walked towards the two girls. The news of being the target of the cold-blooded sniper attack had absolutely terrified her. Zayn, Salma and Sarah had agreed to keep the news from her for a while but unfortunately Louisa had visited the hospital in the morning when Alex was updating Lena's parents on what had happened and Louisa had heard it all.

Thankfully, Claire had been around. Zayn and Salma were meeting with Sarah and Jason discussing the best course of action when Claire had called him to get to the hospital. Zayn had asked Salma and Sarah to tag along.

"She's going to need you," he had told Sarah.

"I can try to comfort her but with Derek involved, I'm afraid the only help she can get is from you or Agent Wickfield," Sarah replied.

"Or Jason," Salma said.

"Hope he can do what he said he can," Zayn replied.

Zayn had told them what he had found out from Alex. The agent had confirmed all of the Green Coats analysis and followed up with Derek in connection to alleged correspondence with the sniper. The disgusting predator had an alibi ready.