Chapter 44: "High School Blame"

Post your reactions as you read 😁. It's been a while since my notifications were spammed. Send me some☺️

First draft: August 8, 2020

Before Salma could get her bearings back and ask Zayn what was going on, they were already within earshot. Salma watched anxiously as Scarlett's eyes ran all over her and her expressions changed from a friendly smile to skeptical, incredulous and confused.

Salma felt Zayn pulling her closer as they came to a halt. Scarlett's eyes snapped to Zayn questioningly.

"That was a really short visit," Zayn said.

"Yeah," she said in a distracted sort of a way, her eyes lingering back on Salma. "Lee was asleep. So . . ."

"Right." Zayn nodded, then patted Salma's shoulder. "I believe ya'll haven't met before. Bee, this Scarlett, my lawyer.

"Hi." Salma smiled, offering her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"And Scarlett, this is Bee, my . . ." Zayn trailed off, turning to Salma.

Salma was strangely aware of Scarlett eyeing Zayn with a raised brow.

"Heart and soul," Zayn finished in all seriousness.

Salma died a little with embarrassment. So she was Bee, his heart and soul. Lovely!

"I'm Salma," Salma provided, strangely aware of Zayn's amusement. "His fiancé."

Scarlett blinked at the word 'fiancé', then quickly recovered and shook Salma's hand.

"It's a pleasure." She smiled before turning to Zayn with a comical look. "You didn't tell me you were engaged, you sneak! When did this happen?"

"I didn't know I was engaged," Zayn replied. "Just found out."

Salma turned to him wide-eyed. Zayn chuckled.

"What? I considered us married already. We're still not there?" he asked mocking ignorance.

Or was he? Maybe he was reminding her that they were indeed married, not just engaged.

"No," Salma replied flatly.

"Ouch!" Scarlett laughed.

"You just embarrassed me in front of my lawyer," Zayn muttered under-breath.

"And why did you felt the need to show off in front of your lawyer?" Salma mumbled back.

"Because he knows I had a huge crush on him back in high school," Scarlett said, eyeing Zayn fondly. "Man, those were the days . . . Until they were ruined, that is. You really should have saved yourself a lot of trouble and chosen me over that blonde shitter."

Salma felt uncomfortable, realising Scarlett was talking about Lenny and their high school history. She sneaked a glance at Zayn. He smiled ruefully at the red-head and looked away.

"You deserved better than my crap, Scar," he replied.

"Damn straight brother!" Scarlett returned. "I got the best in Tobias!"

"I'm happy for you." Zayn smiled at her.

"Me too." Scarlett smiled earnestly, looking genuinely happy as she looked at them. "I'm glad you found someone. Congratulations on the engagement and good luck."

"Thank you," Salma and Zayn replied together.

"Anyway, enough talk. Let's get to work!" the lawyer rubbed her hands together.

The three of them walked towards the lawn and settled on the benches. Salma mostly stayed quiet as she let the two discuss Louisa's situation. It seemed Scarlett already knew quite a bit about Derek and Louisa's problem as she pulled her laptop and starting adding updates to the file she had on the junior.