Chapter 28: "Shady All Around"

Post your reactions as you read. Why so boring?🙁

Written on: April 8, 2021

"You'd think I wouldn't make a blunder like that but here we are," Alex said sounding disappointed with herself, "I was trying to find out where she was once she went off radar and right there on my table was the local cops report of an attempted kidnapping and then the subsequent disappearance of the one, Ms. Rahman."

Alex took a huge gulp of her drink.

"Man, did it irk me?!" she said, exasperated.

"Happens to the best of us," Zayn said with half a smile. "Don't beat yourself up. Also, resolving the issue of her disappearance isn't top of your priority anyway. There's bigger fish to fry."

"I know," Alex replied. "But somehow, I find myself giving it a lot of brain space. It's a feeling. There's something more sinister going on under their guise of a normal day-to-day life."

Zayn chewed on the inner tissue of his lip, thinking.

"In all honesty, I agree." Zayn sighed. "A lot of it doesn't make sense to me too."

"So you believe Agha Gul was here to kidnap her and then she got away after their car crashed."

"Yep," Zayn confirmed.

"And you say this happened half way through your get-away when she just left with the Green Coat?"

"Yeah."

"You didn't think it suspicious that she cut her trip short like that?"

"No, I did," Zayn said, sounding frustrated. "She just wouldn't listen to me. Like I said, she was too taken by that pest!"

"And what of you during this time?"

"I was left alone. Felt like punching the lot of them for treating me like some disposable object but I knew I'll be getting back at them so I played along."

Alex frowned.

"They offered no explanation?"

"They did," Zayn replied. "But like days later once the dust had already settled." Zayn snorted. "They probably thought I was this dimwit who wouldn't think much of their crap. It's pathetic!"

Leaning against the balcony railing, Alex swirled the liquid in her glass, thinking.

"What else is new?" she asked.

"That Green Coat, Burak." Zayn pursed his lips. "He suspects me."

Alex stopped shaking the glass and turned to him, her brow furrowed in question.

"The other day he was shadowing Bee and went after her when she disappeared. She'd gone to the bathroom to clean her abaya," Zayn explained.

"Yeah, it's a nightmare when the person you are watching over goes to the privy." Alex shook her head as if to shake away the anxiety that comes with such a scenario. "Anything can happen."

"Anyways, he walked her out to the bus and in the brief exchange that we had there, he hinted at the FBI watching him," Zayn finished.

Alex pressed her lips in a thin line, a slight frown knotting her brow.

"So he knows . . ."

"Yeah. Could you be more subtle when you watch people?"

"I am subtle!"

"Apparently not." Zayn returned. "Now I have someone tailing me."

"I got someone from the Bureau to watch over you." Alex replied. "We'll catch the stalker soon. It's probably Burak trying to find out your deal."