Chapter 26: "Childish Lessons"

Post your reactions as you read. No goals because I'm so busy I'm really pushing back deadlines to put up this update🥴. But I hope you'd shower me with some love regardless. I could really use a bit of a boost.

It's a longer chapter. Enjoy!🥰

First written on March, 2018

Things were running suspiciously smoothly between Salma and Zayn. Although they met more frequently now, they had managed to keep things civil between them. For the next couple of days, Zayn and Salma repeated their morning ritual. The two would meet by the coffee house briefly, where Zayn would buy her a coffee before leaving for his class. For the rest of the day, each of them kept to their own circle of friends, and if they happened to cross paths, Zayn limited the exchanges to a quick nod-in-the-passing, and a smile.

Salma was grateful. The predictable manner in which they maintained the truce between them allowed her to relax around him. She had now stopped worrying that he could potentially pop up out of thin air trying to forge a conversation. Their exchanges through the day had become brief, silent and distant.

The mornings were a different story, however. As the ritual continued, Salma visibly became more acquainted with the routine. The discomfort she felt around Zayn defused with each drink that was shared. The atmosphere became relatively lighter and her body language less tense. Eventually, Niall stopped showing up and once relaxed into the daily ritual a bit, Sarah would excuse herself too.

"I thought I was supposed to buy you a coffee one of these days?" Salma asked one day, when Zayn handed her a coffee.

"I only said that to rile Snob up." Zayn laughed a bit.

"What is your coffee, by the way?"

"Same as yours. Black, ten sugars." Zayn chuckled, making Salma shake her head in amusement.

That day, Salma realized Zayn had started walking her to her class. Suddenly becoming aware of his presence next to her, the tension in her shoulders increased. She threw nervous glances at him casually walking to her right. Too close to her right, given the narrow cobblestone pathway they were walking on to cross the grounds. Salma inched away and inhaled a breath, trying to stay calm.

Upon crossing the grounds, just when Salma halted to let him know she preferred walking alone, Zayn turned to face her and started walking backwards.

"I have to go in that direction." He jerked his head behind him, towards his block.

"Right," Salma replied, heaving a sigh. She was grateful he had known where to end their stroll together. "Thank you for the coffee."

"Don't mention it." Zayn took a sip of his drink. "See you around."

Salma nodded. "See you."

Salma turned on her heels and quickened her pace. Maybe this was the next baby step. She let out a breath. Who knew tolerating Zayn more each day could be so hard? She laughed at her thoughts.

"Bee!"

"Dude, I've got a name," Salma muttered under-breath, eyeing the passer-bys with embarrassment, but to her relief no one was paying any attention. She faced Zayn.

"Are we meeting by the mosque tomorrow?" Zayn called, frowning.

"Yeah," Salma replied.

"What time?"

What time? She had not really thought about it. With everything going on, taking the kids out for ice creams had slipped her mind. "Around ten!" Salma shouted back. "I'll let you know once it is confirmed!"