Chapter 83: "All Things Bee"

Post your reactions as you read. It's a long chapter 😁

First draft: February 24, 2022

Will walked towards the little canopy at the far end of the park. It was mostly covered from sight by the hedges growing wild around it, and was one of the favourite spot for young kids, sneaking out on dates for that very reason. Back when the hedges were well-kept and trimmed down beautifully, Will and Salma had spent many afternoons in this hiding spot, snacking on the cookies they had managed to steal, and keeping an eye on the swing, conspiring to get the other kids off of it so they could enjoy it, instead.

Right now, as Will walked under the canopy, he did not see the friend he had loved to bits sitting on one of the benches, but the man who had ended up marrying her.

Zayn looked up from his phone when he heard William approach. His eyes widened.

"Holy shi--!"

"Yeah, well, there's nothing holy about shit, never has been, never will be," Will interrupted dismissively as Zayn's eyes did another quick once-over. "Why are you here? Why did you call me? Get on with it."

Will's snark did not phase Zayn at all. He still kept staring at the once-curly haired boy, completely bewildered. It seemed as if he was finding it hard to come to terms with what he saw.

"Assalam o alaikom. . ?" Zayn finally offered.

As Will stood there, with tense shoulders, hands stuffed in the pocket of his pants and a hard frown etched on his brow, he had to admit the greeting had a weird dampening effect on his temper.

"Wa alaikom Assalam," he muttered begrudgingly. The words felt foreign on his tongue. He had never wished the man in front of him, anything but a couple of well aimed punches. It almost felt like he had unwillingly accepted an olive branch, calling it peace on everything in their past.

Will shook that thought away, mentally retching at the idea.

No, it doesn't! He gritted his teeth. There could never be peace between them after all that happened!

"So . . . What happened?"

Will looked up to see Zayn pointing in his general direction.

"What became of the rest of you?"

"Did you seriously call me over to discuss my health?"

"No." Zayn shrugged a shoulder, "but it's a massive distraction like what happened to the --"

"It wasn't drugs!"

William's defensive snarl was followed by a long, awkward silence. Zayn, who had opened his mouth to deny suggesting drug abuse, shut it close and pursed his lips.

"I sure hope so," he mumbled in a way that said he didn't quite believe him. "Because I need you healthy and sane for what I am about to ask."

Will snorted a sarcastic laugh, walking over to one of the benches and slumping down.

"Good luck with that," he muttered. "Look, if you are going to tell me off for being around Sally, start flexing the fact that she's started accepting you, or threaten me into staying away from her, then just get on with it. Don't waste my time and energy, and definitely don't mock my health. I didn't come here to throw blows --"

"Neither did I," Zayn interrupted his angry speech. "I wish I were here for something as petty as that. Heck! Smugly parading Bee next to me, in front of the world, would have been such a wild show, but no, unfortunately, that's not it."

"Right," Will snorted. "Then if we can please move on from the subject of my suspected drug abuse and get to the point . . ." He trailed off suggestively.