Chapter 25: "First Baby Steps"

Alright, hit it up! 500 comments for a quick chapter, which might be limited time access to the  'Rock Climbing' exclusive scene 😏

March 2018 (As pointed out by Maria, this stuff is from 3 years ago, not 2. It's mad!)

Salma let out a wail of irritation, sounding like a strangled cat, when she was woken up by the incessant ringing of her phone. She rubbed the sleep off of her eyes and picked up the annoying gadget.

“Sarah, you pest!” Salma grumbled, swiping the call. What does she want so early in the morning? “Assalamo’ Alaikom. May I know what itched you to ruin my --”

“Wa alaikom Assalam,” Sarah replied, "Hold your tongue woman!" then added in one breath. “It’s on the speaker. Zayn’s listening in.”

The heck?!

Salma lifted herself on one elbow, suddenly wide awake but not sure if she had heard her right in her sleep-drunk state.

“What?” She frowned. “Why?”

“He asked me what kind of coffee you drink and I said it’s black with ten sugars. He pestered me into calling you.”

Salma closed her eyes and fell back on her pillow. Her friend was nuts. She chuckled sleepily.

“It’s a regular.”

Cutting the call, Salma got rid of her phone and snuggled into her pillow. She had every intention to go back to nuzzling into her floofy headrest, but a pinch in her gut kept making her restless. The battle for more sleep and numbness ended when her mother’s sharp voice speared through the tranquil nothingness of unwakefulness.

“Do you plan on going to the school at all?!” Alley called.

Salma slapped an arm over her ear, groaning.

“Yes,” Salma replied.

“Then get a move on!”

Salma growled into her pillow, before answering her mother.

“Okay,” she replied, finding a more comfortable spot. “Five more minutes.”

She heard her mother’s complains. Salma shut her voice out but could not doze off anymore. The pinch in her gut was now a heavily knotted bundle of nerves. Sighing, Salma threw her covers and got up.

“Just face your fears,” she muttered to herself. "Face your fears. Come on, Salma, face your . . ."

Still, Salma felt quite queasy. Zayn had asked her to meet him at the coffee house and she was not exactly sure what he wanted – except that he planned on buying her coffee, maybe. At least that much was clear from his request and Sarah’s weird call.

Almost an hour later, her stomach was still churning with unease as her father drove her to the campus. She had wanted to drive to her classes herself but he insisted.

“I had been meaning to talk to you,” he began once they turned to the man highway.

Salma almost smiled. She was about to find out why he insisted on driving her.