Chapter 90: "The Need to Move"

Post your reactions as you read! Like, genuinely, do it!😒😅

Salma walked through the reception hall and entered the elevator. She had finally had a good night's sleep and felt relaxed and rested for the first time in, what felt like, ages. Ever since their return from their date in the woods, almost every day brought with it worst news than the previous. Salma was glad things were finally looking up now that Zayn had braved a meeting with his grandpa the previous night.

Shortly after grabbing a bite on Salma's insistence, the two had made a quick trip to Zayn's apartment, and then Salma drove him to the hospital to see his grandpa.

Salma remembered feeling her heart hammering against her chest as they hurried through the hallways. In the elevator, Zayn started getting restless and showing obvious sign of nerves. Salma grabbed his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. The ride up to the floor where his Grandpa's was, seemed painstakingly slow. They exhaled a breath they had been holding, once the elevator doors dinged open to their intended floor. As the two rushed out, Salma freed her hand from his hold and wrapped an around his torso. She felt Zayn leaning in on her. It was not too hard to guess, he was desperate for some support and reassurance.

A tearful Claire met them as they hurried to the waiting area outside their grandpa's room.

"Zayn!" she exclaimed, flying into his arms the moment she saw him. Claire started sobbing into his neck, bewildering Salma. She had expected Claire to blast him with her fists of fury for disappearing on them when they needed him most. "I'm sorry!" she cried. "I'm so sorry!"

Salma felt her heart sink. Her eyes snapped to Zayn to see his face drain of the little bit of colour it had had. Were they too late?

Zayn grabbed her arms and pulled her away from him.

"What happened?!" he cried, terrified of getting his fears confirmed. "Tell me what happened? Is grandpa okay?! Is he--"

Crying, Claire wiped at her eyes and nodded.

"He's rounding u-up again." She sniffed. "He's be-been asking about you - Please Zayn . . . I know you're h-hurt but you're family -- he loves you. I love you! You're one of u-us --!"

Salma and Zayn exchanged another quick glance. She knows?

"P-please brother . . ." She eyed Zayn beseechingly. "We can't d-do this without you –"

She cut off when Zayn pulled her into his arms, hugging and fighting back tears for how much her words had meant to him.

Salma heaved a sigh of relief. She had feared the worse for a second there. It appeared Claire and Niall had found out about Zayn's grandpa lying to him about his parentage.

"Take me to him," Zayn whispered.

Claire smiled through her tears, pulling away and grabbing his hand. She paused when Zayn turned to Salma.

"It's okay. Go." Salma nodded. "I'll be here when you come out."

Nodding, Zayn let Claire lead him to his Grandpa's.

"My brother's here!" Salma heard Claire say to the nurses helping Zayn's grandpa as she pushed him through the door. "Please, let him see Zayn."

Salma had watched from the window outside, as the nurses stepped aside and let Zayn and his grandpa have a word. Her eyes blurred with tears to see the old man reaching for Zayn, wrapping his trembling arms around his son as he fell into his embrace, both of them in tears.

Salma drew in a shaky breath, seeing, in her periphery, Niall stand next to her.

"Thank you," he said, quietly.