Chapter 81: "Restoring Normalcy"

Guys thank you so much for the comments on the previous chapter! It made me so happy!🥰

Post your reactions as you read

First Draft: December 25, 2021

"Bee."

Zayn gave her hand a gentle squeeze, making her pause. The snow had stopped, leaving a heavy blanket of white over the lawns and the gardens, in its wake. They were going down the steps to the shed where Zayn's car was parked. Salma turned around to face him at the base of the marble steps in front of the house. Zayn released a breath, as if bracing himself for something unpleasant. He was quiet for while, then tugged at her hand gently, pulling her towards him. "There's something I have to tell you," he finally said.

Salma eyed him questioningly, feeling a little worried by the obvious conflict and dread he was displaying. She nodded at him to begin.

He swallowed as he prepared to tell her the heavy news.

"I've had an offer made by an English Premier League club to join them next season," Zayn started carefully. "I've decided to join Manchester City. If all goes according to the plan, I'll be leaving for Manchester soon."

Zayn watched as Salma's lips parted wordlessly. She seemed caught off guard. After her meeting with Grandpa Steve, the old man had encouraged Zayn to tell her about his potential move. In fact, seeing her hit it off great with his Grandpa, he himself had felt more confident that things could work out for them, but now, as she looked away, as if trying to come to terms with what the news meant for her, he felt his heart sank, killing his hopes with it.

"When--?" She stopped, then shook her head as if to clear it. "I mean, congratulations!" Salma forced a smile. "This is huge! I'm happy for you!"

Zayn felt his heart sear. She did not say she would move to Manchester with him.

"Thank you," he whispered past a clogged throat.

Salma nodded, turning to the snow covered ground like she was trying to find a way past this disturbing new.

"Have you told dad?" she asked after a while.

Zayn shook his head.

"When will you leave?" she asked finally.

"In August," Zayn replied.

"So we have like, eight months?" Salma looked up at him.

Zayn took in a shaky breath, and watched his sigh turn into a puff of mist as he exhaled.

"Is that a no?" he asked.

"What?"

"We have eight months and then I leave," Zayn said. "Does that mean you won't come with me?"

"You want me to come?" Salma's brow raised as she blinked.

Zayn scoffed at the stupidity of her question.

"Of course I do!" he cried, shrugging. "Question is, would you?"

"No." Salma shook her head, taking a step back. "That's not even a question!"

Zayn looked away as he felt his jaw tightening. He felt a tug at their conjoined hands.

"We have to stay together after the marriage, so –"

"What?!" Zayn cried, almost snapping his neck as he turned to her.

"What do you mean what?" Salma asked, eyeing him weirdly. "How do you expect us to be a family and not –"

"You'd come with me?!"

Salma's eyes widened to realize he was inches away from her. He had grabbed her face and was looking at her, his ember irises going to and fro between her eyes, shocked.