Chapter 36: "Fleeing the Demons"

Got late but it's a super long chapter😏. Enjoy and post your reactions as you read 🤗

It's a long chapter and a weekend, post 300 comments and I will give you an update tomorrow? How does that sound? 😏

First draft: May 23, 2021

"I'll be in the parking lot in a couple of minutes!" Salma spoke into the phone as she rushed towards the lot. She almost knocked into a lab attendant walking in the opposite direction. "Sorry! I'm sorry!"

The lab attendant raised his arms, expressing his disbelief and disappointment.

"Sorry!" Salma apologized and continued running. "What? -- no Mr. Hanson, the one near the -- yes the main office. Yes, okay. Thank you. I'll be there."

Salma shot out of building and down the lawns, dodging students, shouting apologies and warnings.

"Salma!" Jason shouted as she passed them.

"Later!" Salma shouted without turning around.

Jogging down the pavement, she jumped over the curb and into the lot. Salma looked around, shielding her eyes from the sun. She could not locate the navy blue sedan that was supposed to be here.

Salma took her phone out to call Mr. Hanson when it beeped with a text from Zayn. Salma swiped the notification aside.

"Mr. Hanson, I--"

"I am just entering the lot," he said. "I see you."

Salma looked up to see the sedan enter the far end of the lot. Her phone beeped again. Another text from Zayn. Salma swiped it open.

Zayn: Are you done with your class?
Zayn: I needed a small favor but if you are engaged elsewhere, let me know.

Salma frowned as she quickly typed a reply. What was he up to?

Salma: yeah, why?
Salma: No, I am free. Just a quick meeting with the Hansons in the parking lot.

Salma locked her phone and pocketed it as Mr. Hanson parked the car in a slot. His wife, Jameela stepped out of the car, closely followed by Austin bounding behind her.

"Assalam o alaikom." Jameela smiled apologetically, shading her blue eyes from the the sun. "I am so sorry for the trouble. Austin was adamant that --"

"Don't worry, Mrs. Hanson," Salma returned the smile. "It isn't a bother."

"Here's my card!" An arm shot up towards Salma's face, missing it only because of her quick move back.

"Austin!" his mother warned.

Salma accepted the card, crouching to be at the kid's height. He was hopping on one foot. Salma grabbed his arm gently to make him stand still.

"It's beautiful." She smiled at the kid, pointing at the drawing. "Is this you with the trophy?"

"No." Austin shook his head. "It's Zayn! He's the bigggggest champion in the whole universe!"

"Is he now?" Salma chuckled.

Austin nodded while his mother shook her head in amusement. A honking horn interrupted them.

"He's getting impatient. We have to go!" Jameela raised an arm to hug Salma. She kissed her hair. "See you in the masjid. Thank you for everything."

"Don't mention it."

Salma's phone beeped with another text. Again, it was Zayn.

"Austin, say Salam. Come on!"

"Assalam o alaikom, Sally!"